1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How often does the fluid need to be changed?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by DieselDan172, May 12, 2009.

1. DieselDan172

DieselDan172 Member
    from Mass.

I'm new to plowing, I bought my 8'2 used part way through the season. I only used it a few times cleaning my own driveway. Should I be thinking about changing the fluid before I put it away or before the snow flies?
  2. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Fluid is recommended to be changed annually, and I advise changing it right before you use it, not before you store it. Hot/cold will develop moisture in the system and possibly contaminate the fluid with water in due time. Ideally now and in the fall would be the best, but it's your call. Make sure you flush the cyls too ;)
  3. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

i agree with h2o. i change mine every fall when i take them out of storage and prep them for the season.
  4. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

We change ours every other year but they sit inside all year long and we only avg about 44"/year. I would change it in the fall also.
  5. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

I agree with H2O and Lawn Pro. I like to flush mine out as well.
  6. RobbieB

RobbieB Senior Member

I have had my Boss for 4 years now and have changed the fluid once. I do my works lot and nothing else. When it's not pushing snow the plow is sitting on a rack in our heated warehouse.
  7. JDWalkbehind

JDWalkbehind Senior Member

while we're on this subject whats the best way to flush the cylinders? just double checking the way i do it. thanks