1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How Often Do You Use 4x4?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by FuturePilot4u, Jan 4, 2012.

1. FuturePilot4u

FuturePilot4u Member

I can plow very easily in 2x4 up to 5-6 inches before i need 4x4.

2500HD pick up ext. cab with just over 1000 pounds of salt in the bed.

The rear locker on my truck helps it a HUGE amount too when in 2x4!!!

2. snowdance

snowdance Junior Member
    from Ontario

I don't have a plow on my truck, but I would only use it if I had to.

3. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

This subject has been beaten like a dead horse, and I don't know how or why anyone that has 4wd would bother trying to plow in 2wd. I've tried after all the guys on here say they do it all the time maybe it's the kind/consistency of the snow or something:confused:

4. FuturePilot4u

FuturePilot4u Member

lets beat it some more baby!!! lol :D i have yet to touch 4x4, cuz 2x4 has no troubles at all!!!

2x4 saves lottttaaaa money for me!!!! payup

5. SharpBlades

SharpBlades Senior Member

I run 245 75r16 Skinny tires on the 3/4 tons with around 800-1400 pounds in the back (depending on how much salt is left) and have very little use for 4x4 with events less than 10 inches of dry powder or 5 inches of wet stuff. The half ton runs with 285 75r16 fat boys underneath and 800 lbs in the back and needs 4x4 with anything more than a dusting.

I think that weight and tire width have a lot to do with weather you can plow in two wheel drive.

6. sectlandscaping

sectlandscaping Senior Member

I run a dually mason dump with a ton of salt and spreader in the back with skinny tires. I just lock the hubs and only put it in 4wd if I start slipping. I havent had to put it in 4x4 yet. I drove through 8"+. The 3/4 ton without the spreader does need it in deeper snow. It does have around 500lbs of salt in the back for walks.

7. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I run 75% time in 2wd I have rear end lock in my 99 F350 5 speed flatbed dually Only lock in 4wd if I need to stack the snow and pushing up windrows in big lots
    When I spread salt I dont even lock rear end turn easier unlock

8. StratfordPusher

StratfordPusher Senior Member

2wd

Heck I drive mine all summer long in 4wd...... lol.....

summerSnowplow-fixed-LTS (2).jpg

Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
  9. Red_Rattler

Red_Rattler Senior Member

That picture has a lot of truth in it... and yes depends on the tire and snow type. Depending on the truck some dually dump with salt is a monster, 2wd only... 3/4 chevs i run need 4x4 more then not unless its a tight lot then you make 2wd work to prevent binding. Theres no right answer though, you'll know when you need it and when you dont

10. dixiejwo

dixiejwo Junior Member

FuturePilot-

Come North about an hour to Chardon...we can't even get to the job without hitting 4wd!

Seriously the wet snow that comes off the lake is so slippery and so heavy that I'm usually in 4wd. We don't get a lot of that light powder unless it gets really, really cold.

11. FuturePilot4u

FuturePilot4u Member

i am advertising farther north each year, it helps so much, so much more snow every little bit farther north!!!

12. cubanb343

cubanb343 Senior Member
    from ERIE

I use it almost all the time while I'm out plowing. 2wd if the roads are clear

13. BOSS LAWN

BOSS LAWN Senior Member

I keep my 4x4 on when its snowing and when the roads havent been done. Especially when they are icy.

14. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Use it when I need it...... Why is this always a topic?

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  15. 496 BB

496 BB Senior Member

I never put it in 4wd.... its already there! NP203. Ive locked it in maybe twice when stacking but thats it....easier when its not all binding up.

16. V_Scapes

V_Scapes Senior Member

I keep my mason dump in 4x4 when i first get to the lots and open them up. once we get to doing cleanup i take it out of 4wd. i really should put more weight in the bed though.

17. H&HPropertyMait

H&HPropertyMait Senior Member

why is this even a thread? when its winter, its snowy and slippery. use 4wd thats what its there for, when the roads dry up 2wd. seems pretty simple... the fuel you think you're saving by being in 2wd goes out the window when you're spinning your tires every pass. what a waste of time.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  18. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

Lol... I agree.

Saving fuel? Because 4WD trucks are really good on fuel... as long as they're not in 4WD? :laughing:

I wouldn't bother trying to plow in 2WD... it's senseless. Whether I think the truck would do it or not is irrelevant.

19. FuturePilot4u

FuturePilot4u Member

Mine plows so good in 2x4 there is zero use for
    4x4. N it does save a lot of fuel btw

20. H&HPropertyMait

H&HPropertyMait Senior Member

Haha yeah, we're plow guys, we haul ass and suck gas. Can't do the first one in 2wd lol