1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How often do you grease your Boss V Plow?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by positraction, Feb 16, 2005.

1. positraction

positraction Junior Member

Recently experienced a problem where the right wing of the plow wouldn't retract. Talked to the mechanic that installed it 3 years ago and he asked if I've been greasing it. Since I never saw any zerk fittings, and nothing in the owner's manual about greasing, didn't do anything. He showed me where the small holes are so the Center Hinge Pin can receive grease with a needle type attachment for the grease gun. Now I have to clean out 3 years crud from the small holes and try to grease it. Just curious what frequency others grease their Boss Power-V Plow.

2. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

i try to grease mine a couple times a season. you might want to take the hinge rod out and clean everything up.

3. Bldrs83

Bldrs83 Member

Yeah, take the center pin out and clean it up. It is surprisingly easy to take out AFTER you take the snow catcher off the bottom of it. Be careful taking the two 3/8" bolts out of the snowcatcher that you don't break them off which is very common. I took the wing springs off so I could easily move the wings around removing the pin and reinstalling it, and leave the plow off the ground about an inch so you can wiggle everything around a little.

4. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

I grease mine at the end of each season with my Rubber Nippled grease gun.

I get the pressure washer, clean the entire plow, let it dry, grease each hinge, actuate it (scoop to vee) a few cycles, then grease again. I then touch-up any paint that peeled/flaked away. I do this in the Spring when I put it away. In the Fall, thats when I'll change the fluid.

If you get more than 3-4 events per year, you may want to grease it 1/2 way through the season.

5. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

I take my truck to the power washer after the storm and hose it down and then hose down any pin I can get to with either bar and chain lube or spray lithium grease.