1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How mush sand/salt do you apply per acre?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by lawntec, Oct 22, 2010.

1. lawntec

lawntec Senior Member

I am looking to buy a salter. I maintain roughly 100 000 sq feet. Just curious how big a sander a person should get. I mean how much salt do you put down per acre?

2. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Rule of thumb is typically 6-800 lbs per acre. So you'd use roughly 1,600 lbs or so of material.........just shy of a yard if you were using bulk ;)

If using bulk, I'd say bid it for a yard/ton.

3. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

If this is the only site you have I would buy a GOOD tailgate salter. They are almost the same price as a V box salter but you would still have your truck box to use and the vision is much better.

4. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

5. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

Ive basically calcd my lots at 750lbs an acre this year. But i was reading through the snow magazine and it said that in most situations as little as 300lbs an acre is sufficient.

6. grassmaster06

grassmaster06 Senior Member

Wow if I could get away with 300 lbs per acre .I'd be rich

7. PTSolutions

there were some really interesting articles in the ice control playbook section of the last snow magazine. worth checking out.

8. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

That was a good issue......

But that 300 lbs deal is only good if you're salting by the app & not the ton.......One more argument for that way of doing things.....

I prefer to bid at about 1000lbs per acre, sometimes it's too much, others it's not. I'd prefer to charge for 1/2 apps, than have to explain why I'm charging more........

9. ford550

ford550 Senior Member

Its between 1/2 ton to1.5 ton per 100,000sf. Every situation and storm is different. Temps, precip type, day or night all have an impact on amounts needed to clear the area properly.

10. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

I love the tailgates.....so much better for me and its what im use to. Im sure a V box is great.....For my father and I with 2 commercials and a ton of driveways its great.

11. GMCHD plower

GMCHD plower PlowSite.com Addict

Whats the snow magazine?

12. PTSolutions

its the companion magazine to Turf, its called SNOW MAGAZINE put out by GIE media, its a pretty good read and free to sign up for.

13. shooterm

shooterm Senior Member
    from Midwest

Some reason I only got the snow magazine when I first requested it never got another issue. Get turf now regularly though.

14. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

IMO the AirFlo MSS Salter is the best tailgate salter on the market. Allows you to spread both bulk and bagged product and is a workhorse. Worth every penny.

http://www.walkerequipment.com/products_airflo_tailgate.html