1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

how much

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by fish22fish, Nov 4, 2007.

1. fish22fish

fish22fish Junior Member
    from maine

A women emailed me for a price for 3 good size driveways and a small roadway they live on.How much would u charge? Also she wants a flat rate for the winter,I don't think I want to do a flat rate.She also wants to know how early I can plow.Do u think she is to picky?
  2. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

I would want to know how much and when you would be there also. I don't think that is too picky.

Flat rate or Seasonal Bid for the winter is gaurenteed income. I would jump on it for the right price and if I could fit them into my schedule.

You will hear this a bunch about pricing. Figure your hourly rate times the amount of time you think it will take you to do the work. Then take that amount times the average amount of events for a seasonal bid. + or -

Good Luck
  3. kah68

kah68 Senior Member

I was asked to do the same thing, it was a private road commitee, I went back to them with a worst case, and told them to budget for that plus 15%, and told them I would only do it per event, that way in a heavy year they might need the 15% or in a light year they could carry the savings over to the next year and keep reserves, I also advised them to have annual increases, if their reserves become excessive they could refund the members or spend it elsewhere. I've been told they want me to do it but no one has finalized anything so who knows. tymusic
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2007
  4. fish22fish

fish22fish Junior Member
    from maine

well ill been plowing for a while and i just remember a guy told me once he got 12 dollar a house for plowing a roadway.so i when and looked at the driveway there were small.this is what i told her ill plow for.20per house,15 per house for roadway
  5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

You've GOT to be kidding!! You said you've been plowing for awhile? What if you've got a one mile road with one house at the end of it. I assume you're talking about a private road, it's illegal to plow a public road. If you'd like, let us know where you are in Maine and I'll see if maybe someone can come and help you come up with realistic prices.
  6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Not in DE, I wonder how many states prohibit private vehicles from plowing public roads.

Seems kinda stupid, you'd think the DOT would welcome the help.:dizzy:
  7. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

where are you in maine?
  8. Jbowe

Jbowe Senior Member

This is one of the hardest things there is and thats bidding, especially if they want a seasonal bid. It has taken me seven years to cultivate 50 yearly clients. When I switched from per plows to seasonal everyone said I was makeing a mistake. But when I decided to do this I had three winters already behind me and I keep very good records so I was able to go back and take an average for my seasons which holds pretty good year to year. I took what I considered a fair hr rate and then applied it to the time it takes me to do a job. Then I figured my actual cost of doing the job. 80 dollars per hr, 30 minutes equaled 40 dollars per fall. 15 falls per year equals 600 dollars for the season ending on May 5th. After I came to this number I then added my profit which is 1/3 the cost bringing the total to 800.00 This has worked very well for me and my customers are all happy.I plow one time during any snow and if they call and want me to come back then they are charged and I bill them for the extra. All my accounts are prepaid by september 15th for the entire year. If I had to do the extra billing every month and then wait for the accounts to be paid then I would have to charge more for that. I explain this when I get a new contract and its also put into my contracts. As for the time I will be there I try as hard as I can to send my trucks out so that everyone rotates customers. Since accounts here are spread out over such a long distance we always start furthest out then work in then rotate and work out. Its all about what works for you and how much you want to make. I am not the cheapest around but I do good work and do my best to make sure my clients are happy.