1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How much??

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by FF/P215, Dec 13, 2012.

1. FF/P215

FF/P215 Senior Member
    from 01085

How much ballast do the Duramax guys use? First year plowing with it and the VXT, I've run 300-ish in my gasser in the past without a problem, plowed last year with none (3 pushed, wasn't even ready for October...) And I learned on an '04 gas 2500HD w/o any ballast ever, boss never felt the need :dizzy:

Thanks in advance!

2. SullivanSeptic

SullivanSeptic PlowSite Veteran

I always had 600-1000 in my bed. I had a western v plow on mine. I have lift keys and it helped keep the weight off of the front

3. Dr_Goodwrench66

Dr_Goodwrench66 Member

I have 1200lbs of sand stacked directly over my rear axle.

4. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

I used to run about 800 until I bought my ebling. My thought was to always have the same amount of weight in the back as I do out front. It keeps the truck balanced and helps with traction. Also keep it as far backwards as possible. If you can put everything in front of the tailgate and behind the rear wheels.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
  5. FF/P215

FF/P215 Senior Member
    from 01085

Always had it minimally over the read axle, '96 has a great bed liner for it, this one I just took a pallet and placed it against the cab, keeps my weight right over the back axle to the tailgate. Anyone upgrade springs, or do anything to help the rear end for that matter?

6. SullivanSeptic

SullivanSeptic PlowSite Veteran

I have airbags. They work wonders.