1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

how much would you pay for 24hr mobile service & support

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by crazymike, Oct 22, 2006.

1. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

I plow snow commercially and somewhat enjoy doing it. It's a good second source of income and pays for trucks, etc...

I also own a small tractor dealership. I would like to expand and cover more snow removal equipment. Blades for trucks, etc... I would also like to offer 24/7 storm support (keep the shop open during storms) so people can come in for emergency repairs.

But would it be worth offering mobile support? Would you pay extra, yearly standby fee to get reduced call fees, extended mobile repair warranty maybe?

The mobile unit can only cover basic repairs like hydraulic lines, small welding, minor truck repairs, etc... so maybe it wouldn't be worth it for trucks, etc... but if you are a small company and blow a line on a wheel loader, etc... you can't just drive it to the shop. And usually can't afford to be down a loader for an entire night.

I don't plan on making a tonne of money off the repairs, etc... but more so use it to help move product. I have to pay mechanics, etc... extra to sit around the shop all night so it's not a huge profit maker.

Would you buy a blade from a dealer that offers this and pay closer to retail price over a dealer offering the blade cheaper but without 24/7 support?

And would you pay for mobile support in a storm.

I'm already in an area with little support for snow removal equipment, yet huge demand. So I think this could help, but wanted some opinions.

2. 2moresleeps

2moresleeps Senior Member
    from Ontario

If you were to do it...my hats off to you. You don't really have to have someone in the shop 24/7, you could post a 24hr emergency number and have someone on call. Believe me, there will be breakdowns with EVERY storm and people, including myself would pay a premium for this type of assistance (if my partner weren't a "mechanic").

There is someone in Aurora, ON who has the same idea as you and will open 24/7 according to the aurora small engine repair shop. If I were you, I wouldn't offer a "membership" because if you aren't able to "fix" em up quick, or they have to wait on a part (however understandable it may be) they will be pissed. Avoid the headaches and just charge more for the service.

my .02....Do I get a 10% discount for my consulting fee? LOL.

Do I?

3. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

maybe :p

places like walker are open 24/7 during storms and they seem to do the most business. But the east end is expanding to spots they can't cover.

4. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Great idea, charge big! If im broke down in the middle of the night i will pay whatever to get back on the road.. Last year on a sonday at 3:00am i paid a $185.00 service charge for a tire guy to come out take the wheel off and go mount a new one and reinstall. It sucked but worth every penny.

5. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

steel rims and a pair of tire irons will save you.

With two people you can change any size tire ;)

6. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

7. Plowfast9957

Plowfast9957 Senior Member

Around here there are more and more people open during storms. There are a couple plow dealerships and there is a mobile hose maker who it avaliable 24/7. So apparantly there is a demand for it.

8. SwiftSnow&Salt

SwiftSnow&Salt Member

well worth premium charge..

I rely on a repair shop, available 24 hours during storms and gladly pay a premium for their services.

9. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

In a heartbeat to all of your questions.

10. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

If there were a shop around me that offered that service, I dont think I would care what it cost. That is the cost of doing business, in this business!!! JMO:cool:

11. 2moresleeps

2moresleeps Senior Member
    from Ontario

I swear, if you put a HOT COCOA machine on your mobile units, I ll be all over your service. Are you offering instant credit? Portable credit card machine would be the way to go.....and a hot coffee and cocoa machine.

PS Dont forget the hot cocoa machine.

12. G&S in Md

G&S in Md Junior Member

Great idea

I do it, in the beggining I did it only for a city contract I have, I would open my store (autoparts) for them (I was plowing anyway), so they would call my cell if it after hours. (we dont get the storms like the some other places up north) Since then I let others in our industry in my area know I'm open 24-7 during the snow, just call me on my cell and I'll meet you at my place or I'll deliver the part to you. I dont fix 'em , but I get you the part so you can !!!payup

13. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Whats your number????? Your close enough to about 30 member on here that we might need ya.