1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How much will a ton of salt cover?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by jlouki01, Feb 9, 2007.

1. jlouki01

jlouki01 Senior Member

Need to know what a ton of salt will cover?
  2. Rcgm

Rcgm Senior Member

Well it depends how you put it down by hand or spreader how fast you drive etc.

FIREMAN Q Senior Member

you will get a lot of different aswers on this one. I searched the different threads on here, search the ice section

I estimate at 800# per acre. An acre is 44ooo square feet.

Hope this helps
  4. MStine315

MStine315 Senior Member

I have seen most guys on here at 600-900 lbs. per acre. I have a 6 acre lot that I typically do with 2 yds. which is approx. 4,400 lbs., so I'm at about 750 lbs. per acre. When it was below 0, I bumped it up to about 3 tons, and the early December snow we had I got away with as little as 1 1/2 yds. One thing to consider, too, is the condition of the lot. Half of my lot was new asphalt in November and half of it is older. The half that's new takes VERY little salt, as it all sits up on top and it's real dark. The other half takes more, I guess because all the cracks and it's weathered and not as black. FWIW, Marc