1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How much weight

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by PlowTeam5, Nov 19, 2010.

1. PlowTeam5

PlowTeam5 Senior Member

Of salt are you guys loading in your trucks. I have 2 2500hd that I put just over 5000# of bagged salt in the bed. Everyone always tells me that they cant believe it holds that kind of weight. Am I the only one doin this? I never had any issue with it like this and never have to use 4x4 no matter how much snow until I almost 75% unloaded. All my other plow friends that run fords have f350 and barely put over 1 pallet of salt on their trucks. So am I crazy for doin this? Being in construction, I am use to loading our trucks up as much as possible to get the most out of them.

2. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Yes :dizzy:

3. eaglelawncare

eaglelawncare Junior Member

I only put aprox. 1 skid of salt in the back of my chevy 2500HD. I never put more than that in the back at 1 time. To much weight to be hauling around.

4. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

I can't believe you have to deal with all those bags,besides the weight of course.I hope you at least have air bags in the back,a stock 2500 is really unsafe with all that weight.

5. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

I put about that much weight in my Dodge 2500HD

Not all salt tho. The most bags I would carry is 80 - 50#er's. That is 4,000 lbs. there. Chains/spare tire/salter weight and myself would put it close to 5k in the back. Add the plow up front and I am sure it was over loaded to the max.

This year a v-box and no more bags!!!

Last edited: Nov 19, 2010
  6. m.$terner

m.$terner Senior Member

i usually hold about 60 bags but this is in a 01 f250. no plow just a snow ex salter.thats around 3000 lbs. not sure if id want to add another 2000. its not the best idea but your truck seems like its handling it (may not last though). it is nice having that much weight in the back though. you really never need 4x4 with that much weight.

7. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

At that point it's not just helping with traction, it's pretty far beyond that. You are probably overstressing the tires, bearings and springs beyond their limit. I don't mean breaking limit, most of the usable life will be used up though. Just cause it doesn't break with 5k on it doesn't mean you're not wearing it out. I have had 6k on my dually, and the 10 ply E range tires looked pretty bad even with 80 lbs in them. That's how I wrecked my springs and thats why I have airbags now. But I don't load it that heavy anymore, since I switched to D range tires. When I do get upwards of two tons on, I at leastnow I'm offloading it gradually as I spread it.
    So, are you really "getting the most out of the truck" if you wear it out prematurely? I don't know. I tend to work my stuff harder than most, but thats why I buy 1 tons insted of smaller srw trucks. Even so, I see guys at the yard getting their F350 rclb srws loaded with more weight than I'm carrying with my dually. You can hear the frame stretch and creak. They''ll be in the boneyard at a young age I guess.

8. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I know a guy who salts a large commercial enterprise, he has a 4 yard spreader with extended sides on a 3500 dually truck, with heavy commercial truck Timbrens on it. Loads it heavy and only drives a few miles to where he offfloads with the spreader. Seems crazy, but he was sick of making a million trips to reload the trucks. He's got plenty of motor to move the wieght, and the suspension actually looks to work well loaded. It's been working for a 3-4 seasons already, so maybe it's not really hurting the truck the way it's set up. But it's also a drw cclb, wheelbase and drw makes more difference than people think

9. PlowTeam5

PlowTeam5 Senior Member

This is why I load them the way I do. I do alot of the public libraries here and I unload alot of salt fast. I do not like having to make trips back to reload. I would love to have a bulk spreader but I bought another truck this yr instead. Next yr I will spend my play money on a bulk spreader. I know its not the best for the truck with all that weight. I guess I might not load them so heavy this yr since I got another guy driving one of my other trucks.

10. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

5000 lbs is up there for sure. But that's a 14 bolt 10.5" full floater, the weight is no problem for the axle. Keep the tires up to max PSI listed on the sidewall. And I'm guessing you're not driving a hundred miles at 100 MPH.

11. cretebaby

But he is plowing like that.

12. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Who doesn't?

13. cretebaby

Ummmmmm........

14. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

As long as his GCW is under 26K, he's OK.

15. cretebaby

So true. :laughing: