1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How much weight to add???

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by chevy914494, Dec 3, 2009.

1. chevy914494

chevy914494 Junior Member

1/2 ton 85 chevy with a 2 inch lift and a 7.5 fisher MM. How much weight should I add in the bed if any????
  2. ScottPA

ScottPA Senior Member
    from PA

Enough that your rear wheels don't spin, but not so much that your burning fuel by the barrel. 500#'s is usually a good starting point.
  3. stillen

stillen Senior Member

depends...... 4x4? ..... yes, ive seen guys with 4x2's with a blade on..... they just run tons of ballast and it gets the job done on the flats....

i dunno man, like the previous post said.... until your wheels dont spin and you're not spending more of fuel than what you're making......
  4. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

500 Pounds....
  5. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

500 pounds back by the tailgate. Though I find a 900 pound spreader with 4000 pounds of sand salt works pretty good too.
  6. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

Welcome to Plow Site.
    One Rule of thumb is to bring the front end of your truck back to were is was before raising the plow.

Good Luck plowing
  7. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

As much if not more then the plow weighs.
  8. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

9. chevy914494

chevy914494 Junior Member

Thanks guys...yes it is a 4x4...I think im gonna start with 500 see how that goes.. I dont want to kill my gas tank because im gonna be a sub for a local guy doing commercial lots so i dont want to put my entire pay towards gas
  10. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

When I sub i get paid for gas and hourly