1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How much weight should I add to my rear end, and where should I put it?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by 90pioneer, Oct 29, 2011.

1. 90pioneer

90pioneer Junior Member

My first time plowing this year. I'm using a 97 F250HD, extended cab long bed with a 460. I just bought a Boss Power V plow that weights about 900lbs.

How much weight should I put in the bed, and where should it be placed?

2. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

You don't need any. If you'd like put 500 lbs near the tailgate and that'll help a little.
    But you don't need ballast!

3. 7_below

7_below Senior Member

I always put about 8 gravel bags right over the rear axle. Each bag is 75#. Make sure there sucure or they'll slide to the front of the bed.

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

A good rule of thumb is ballast weight should equal plow weight. Get it as far back as possible, right up to the tailgate. Secure it so if you are in an accident the weight doesn't come through the back window.

5. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

As far back to the rear as possible, every bit helps, as was said secure it, or it will work it's way forward.

6. DodgeBlizzard

DodgeBlizzard Senior Member

How much weight should I add to my rear end, and where should I put it?
    That's something you will never hear the wife say. haha

7. 90pioneer

90pioneer Junior Member

The truck actually has airbags in the rear. If I put 8 or 900 pounds of sand back there should I leave the airbags deflated?

8. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

If the truck has slots in the bed then get a 2x10 and install in last slots near tail gate. Then go and get 6 or 7 of those bags/tubes of sand that weigh 70/75lbs. Put behind the 2x10 near tailgate.

The weight will help with traction and counter weight for front. If you get stuck you also have sand to help you get out. Leave air bags at or around 50psi.

9. ChickenKing

ChickenKing Member

I go to Home Depot and grab 8 or 10 of the 60lb bags of sand and throw them above the rear axle. After the season is over I return them.....

10. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I really hope you're kidding.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
    finh2o likes this.
  11. ChickenKing

ChickenKing Member

Of course I am.....

12. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

:dizzy:

The difference between ballast and no ballast is huge. Your front end will thank you for 700#'s against the tailgate.

13. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Wouldn't that be counterweight?

I'm surprised it took someone so long to make a comment like this. :drinkup:

14. ChickenKing

ChickenKing Member

Boss website recommends you add 475 lbs. of ballast in the rear. Do it and you will be happy you did.

It's on the Boss website "Plow Selector", I assumed you had a 8'2" Power-V blade.

15. superdog1

superdog1 Senior Member

What if you are running a 1 ton dually dump truck? Logic says the steel dump bed weighs more than the plow, but then again, the truck was designed for that bed to be there, just like a pickup was designed to have it's bed back there. I would say that the dump needs ballast too?

16. JCByrd24

JCByrd24 Senior Member
    from Maine

Calling it ballast or counterweight, the idea is the same, weight behind the rear axle takes weight off the front axle and places it back on the rear. The benefits are obvious, rear axle can handle more weight, lots of expensive wear items in the front, more traction in the rear. Also, the plow manufactures do you the service of how much ballast you need to not exceed your front AWR.

Now, it should be obvious why a 1 ton with a dumb body is different than a pickup with a bed. First, different FAWR, second, plow makes much less impact on rear traction with all the weight of a dump bed.

Trucks (not ones with dump bodies) are already some of the worst handling vehicles in the snow due to bad weight distribution, add a plow without ballast and they are down right dangerous. If you don't think so, drive around in 2wd on snowy roads and see how much your spinning tires. Now imagine you slam on the brakes and have not rear traction, rear end is passing the front in a hurry.

17. DodgeBlizzard

DodgeBlizzard Senior Member

I'm tired of putting sandbags in the back. My new counterweight (ballast) will be known as the Ebling backplow. Yeah buddy.

18. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

When you drop the Ebling, all the weight is off the truck. And that's when you'll need the weight the most.

19. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Very intelligent plower right here.

Do you mean drop as in for plowing? Or drop as in removing the plow off the truck?

If you mean the first, you are wrong.

It isn't like pull plows are new on the market. If the above statement was true, then pull plows wouldn't have stayed in production for over 50 years.

20. superdog1

superdog1 Senior Member

I'm not sure I follow you? When that back plow is dropped to the ground, the ground itself is then supporting the weight of the plow and it becomes another thing that has to be moved by the vehicle and the same amount of weight is then over the back axles as if the plow was not there? Maybe I am missing something?:confused: