1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How much weight should I add to my 2009 2500?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by racingnplowin, Jan 11, 2011.

1. racingnplowin

racingnplowin Junior Member

I have a 2009 2500 with the 6.0L v8. Just wondering how much weight I could put in the bed to get better traction?
  2. gtmustang00

gtmustang00 Senior Member
    from Berlin

How much weight are you hanging off the front? I'd put at least 4-500lbs behind the rear axle.
  3. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

800 or so pounds right against the tailgate.
  4. Dchambers1

Dchambers1 Junior Member

I have a 2010 2500 Hd with the 6.0 CrewCab and have a SnowDogg EX-80 mounted on it, this plow weighs about 800 with the mount. I installed Timbrens and put 5 turns on t-bars put 900 lbs against the tailgate. and she rides almost perfect now
  5. racingnplowin

racingnplowin Junior Member

I have a four door with a 6.5 foot bed and a Boss 8'' super duty plow. I went to Home Depot today to get some tube sand but of course they were sold out. Any other recommendations that can wet and still be able to taken out of the bed easily?
  6. carkey351

carkey351 Senior Member

I use bag salt -have almost 1000lbs stacked against the tailgate and strapped down. works great -plus you have something to through down for traction/ or melt ice.
  7. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I personally run with about 1800 pounds of bagged salt. Two rows behind the axle. I however salt each lot as I go, so by the end of the route, I am about out of salt. If it's a heavy wet snow, I will plow all the lots, and go back through to salt afterwards, so I don't loose my counter weight.
  8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

More weight = easier plowing.

I would start with at least 1000 lbs on that truck.

STIHL GUY Senior Member
    from CT

when thinking of ballast you also have to take into account how you will be able to get a bloer in the truck if needed