1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

*How much weight is to much for my 2500HD**

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by BLK BZT, Jan 1, 2011.

1. BLK BZT

BLK BZT Junior Member

My truck is a 1997 GMC Sierra; 5.7 liter, regular cab, 8 ft. dump bed, 8600 GVWR. Also, my 8'6" MVP is normally on the front. I loaded her up with a skid of salt (2,450 lbs) and she was squatting pretty bad. The stoppers were approximately 4 inches from touching. My tires are newer Goodyear's and are 245/75/16 E-rated. Does it look scarier then it is, or should I not load so much? My route forces me to carry it around for a couple of hours till it's gone and I'm ready for more salt. HAPPY NEW YEAR!
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2011
  2. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

Sounds like the truck is close to being at its max if not over.
    Truck Curb weight is just under 5200lbs
    Plow is around 800lbs, salt 2450lbs, skid is 50lbs
    8ft dump bed ?? lbs
    Your weight + tools,gas etc
  3. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

I'd make double sure your tires are at 8o PSI all the way around and drive slow.You're OK I believe from what you've told us,but just be careful--you're in that gray area.
  4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

A set of airbags will make all the difference. Couple hundred bucks well spent.

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

I thought the HD's started at 9200 #'s GVWR ?
  6. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

Your truck is over weight.my 04 2500hd weighs over 10500 with xls plow,aluminum dump insert and 2500 of bulk in the back. More if I get a larger load. I have timbrens up front and airbags on the back and she is level and handles it fine. Your truck will handle the weight and just looks worse then it appears.
  7. tuney443

Back in 97 it was 8600 lbs.

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

That's odd. Last year I sold my 1988 GMC 2500, basic 6 lug wheels not HD. But the GVW door sticker said 8600 lbs.

Being in Illinois anyway tho unless the plate is upgraded to a D truck plate it is limited to 8,000# by having the B plate.
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2011
  9. swtiih

-Weights: gross vehicle weight rating (3,901 kg)(8600lbs)
    curb weight (2,582 kg) (5692lbs),

According to the design specs for this truck it is illegal & being overloaded.
    Yes you can put air bags and timbrens on it but according to the name plate it still can only carry a toatl weight of 8600lbs
  10. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Who says it is illegal?
  11. swtiih

Law enforcement (local or state police) they will go by what the plate inside the door shows GVWR 8600lbs

STIHL GUY Senior Member
    from CT

airbags will make a huge difference. i have a set of air lift in my truck
  13. tuney443

Technically you are correct but regular non-gestapo police don't carry scales to enforce this but even though blk bzt is hovering around the magical 10k lb.GVW for DOT[gestapo cops] enforcement,it is highly unlikely he will be in their radar.My best advise to you blk bzt is to make sure your truck isn't squatting at all so get some airbags and crank up your bars some.You also have in your favor that DOT boys are fair weathered species---they usually will appear when the sun is shining.:)
  14. BLK BZT

BLK BZT Junior Member

Thanks for all the input guys. I'll lighten the load to be safe for now, but if I have to make her squat, I'm normally running with my brother who's a cop, so maybe he can help me out if I get stopped. ;) I wasn't trying to rap, really!
  15. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

Load half the salt and go back more often. It sucks but it also won't get you in trouble.
    Is there anyway to store the salt on site?