1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

how much weight do i need?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by wileythecoyote, Dec 15, 2001.

1. wileythecoyote

wileythecoyote Junior Member
    from indy

i have an 86 gmc 1ton dump 2wd with heavy duty springs and a meyer 7'. the truck will haul 4-5 ton, but how much is ideal for plowing?
    tia,
    wiley

2. Maverick

Maverick Senior Member

How much weight?

Good question. I drove for a plowing outfit once that had a 99' 3500HD chevy with a dump. These are 2wd also and we had to keep about 2 yards of sand and had the duals studded to get any traction. We had a 9'2" Boss on it. On the flats you where ok but have to climb an incline from a stop was a challenge.

3. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

While the truck may haul 4-5 ton, it is in no way rated for that much weight. That should be an 11K gvw truck with a light weight around 7K. SO 2 ton would be the most that I would put in it.
    Dino

4. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

What Dino said. IMO you're best to stay within the truck's GVW because, although it may handle those 4 - 5 tons, you're putting a l-o-t more strain on brakes/driveline/etc.

I don't think you'll notice any difference in traction between 2 ton in the back and 4 - 5 tons.

BTW, I know that being a dump truck yours likely has the narrower dually axle, even so do you find the 7' blade to be a bit small (narrow) for the truck?

5. wileythecoyote

from indy

i just got the truck. i didn't plan on putting but a ton or two in it to plow with. i was just checking to see which will work better....1,1 1/2,2 etc...
    as for the width of the blade i was considering getting some pro wings.

6. SCL

SCL Senior Member

I run a 2wd F350 and put a pallet of salt minimum in the back, and the balance of another skid that I use in my salter. Pallet weighs around 2500 pounds and I plow with an 8' Fisher. Use at least a ton and really you don't see any benefit to much more than 2500 pounds. Stay under your GVW unless you like having long discussion with your local law enforcement. Wings for you are a must as my 8' barely covers my tracks when angled. Get that 2 wheeler in unplowed snow and you're asking for trouble.

7. wileythecoyote

from indy

i just got the truck. i didn't plan on putting but a ton or two in it to plow with. i was just checking to see which will work better....1,1 1/2,2 etc...
    as for the width of the blade i was considering getting some pro wings.

8. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

I use a 2wd myself to plow, it's a C-35 dually (although not a dump) as well.

Since I'm a solo operator, one thing I DO have as "insurance" is a winch (Warn M12000) on the back, which has come in handy a couple of times.

Put about a ton in the back, put those wings on and you should be OK - just remember that a 2wd is a good "flatland" truck, not so good on hills.................. :(

9. john r

john r Senior Member
    from NJ

Don't forget your truck is 16 years new. The GVW has decreased over time due to abuse, metal fatigue, stress, accident. I wouldn't push a older truck too hard or load it to GVW unless youv'e gone through it and feel satisfied it can take the abuse. My $.o2

10. I had a 86 Chevy 1 ton 4X4 with a 8 1/2 Western a few years back. I used it mostly in 2WD while plowing and only used the 4x4 on the hills and rough spots. I got along real well with about 1 1/2 tons on it. Anything under 1/2 ton and I started having wheel spin.
    BTW, Try to avoid wheel spin as it is alot of stress on the rear differential. I ended up putting a new rear in my truck ($500.00 doing it myself) after spinning a bit too much with a load on. After that I used chains to avoid it.
    Good luck.... Bob

11. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Why not use four wheel drive to avoid the rear wheel spin?

12. wileythecoyote

from indy

that would be because i don't have it!

13. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Sorry Wiley That question was aimed at RJC