1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How much weight do I need

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MD Power Plow, Dec 22, 2004.

1. MD Power Plow

MD Power Plow Senior Member

Need help much weight do I need

Today I felt that the rear end of my truck is a little light.I was wondering how much do I need my plow is Blizzard 810 950lbs the truck is a 2004 ford F-350 extended cab front end payload is 5200lbs,with a 8' bed :waving:

Last edited: Jan 5, 2006
  2. SIPLOWGUY

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

Very nice truck. I have an 04 F350 with a 8' Fisher SS X-blade, Fisher recommends 500 LBS ballast.

3. MD Power Plow

Thanks Some people have told me to carry half the weight of the plow dose this sound right
    do you have a extened cab?

4. SIPLOWGUY

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

I have a regular cab. 1/2 the weight of the plow makes sense.

5. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

I'd put at least 850 lbs behind the rear axle. The thing will bull through most of it. That is a heavy plow you are running. What are you pushing that with. 6.0 PSD or V10, V8?

6. SIPLOWGUY

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

Here is a picture:

04 F350.jpg

7. ppandr

ppandr Senior Member

Never too much

The more weight the better if you are careful. If you hit something solid like curbs etc. You putting alot more stress on the mount and pins. I have a F350, 7.3 with a 9' util. box weighing in at over 8500lbs, I have never gotten stuck even with 18+" in one pass. I have broke to mount where the blade pivots (western), twice. We also have 2 jeeps with 6.5's, and again on average 500lbs of salt in each. Rarely get stuck, and our drives are not flat easy ones.

8. MD Power Plow

I have a V8 5.4 its a strong truck I would have like to get 6.0 psd but ford would void the warranty if I put a plow on it. The v-10 did not have the options I wanted for the 04 trucks, But in all I love my truck.

9. MD Power Plow

I think I might just put in a 1/2 pallet of salt

10. MD Power Plow

Siplowguy

SIPLOWGUY nice ride I love black and the plow looks sweet on the truck

11. SIPLOWGUY

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

Thank you. I originally wanted Arizona Beige but they only had Black & Blue.

12. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

should have waited for the 05s. you can put a plow on just about any config. at this point.