1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How much wear on a HD is too much?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by oldmankent, Nov 7, 2011.

1. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

I'm looking at a used 05 8.6' HD. Can't get a good look at the bottom of the plow from pics. It doesn't have a cutting edge on it and the guys said that there is about 2" left to the bolt holes for the cutting edge. Do you guys that have HD's think it has been worn too far? I know it can be worn some, but too much and you replace the whole bottom. Want to know if it is worth driving to look at or not. Thanks, Nick.

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

If you can bolt a cutting edge on it ,should be good to go.

3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

If the tabs for the trip springs haven't hit the ground yet, there's room to keep going.

4. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

and then once thay start to hit bolt on a 6" std hight wear edge.

5. oldmankent

So if the bottom of the plow has about 2" left on it below the mounting holes for the cutting edge it should be ok? I would love to just look at it, but it is a hike just to get a look at it.

6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Have a pix sent to you.

7. oldmankent

I did. But they were taken at night and there is tall grass around the blade. Probably a sign of what I could get into.

8. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

The other thing to consider is that you can always buy a new Base Angle to put on it....they're not cheap by any means ($600). You can always hammer him down on the price with that in mind.

9. oldmankent

Thinks it's an 05-06 8'-6". Looks like been repainted as there are no decals on the back. $1500. Doesn't seem too bad if everything is solid and functional

10. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

No, that's not a bad price depending on overall condition.