1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How Much Wear from shifting into 4x4 Low?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by SnowFakers, Oct 31, 2014.

1. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

So basically in wondering if it hurts the transfer case or transmission in any way by shifting from 2wd, to 4 hi, to 4lo a lot? This may sound like a stupid question but I just thought it may wear certain parts out? Maybe I'm crazy? I'd really like to do a lot of plowing in 4lo this year as my transmission doesn't appear to be 100%, and I'm wondering if there are any cons from shifting in and out of all those gears so many times during the night.

Obviously I wouldn't shift it out of 4lo if I'm just driving down the street but from one side of town to another to another can mean a lot of changes in the TCase. Any thoughts? Thanks guys

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Generally 4hi is ok up to X speed. I usually try not to go any faster then 15. I have tried faster but it won't engage.
    4 low. You cannot shift it while moving period. Complete stop, engage, resume.
    What trk is this your speaking of?

3. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Just use 4 high

4. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

If you're trans is weak why not have the problem fixed now instead of having it go out during a storm?

5. Pit Crew

Pit Crew Senior Member

Don`t think I have ever plowed in low range

6. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

It's a 99 F350 7.3. I wouldn't say it's weak, it just does weird things like if I get on the throttle too early when shifting into R or D. It's shifts perfect and otherwise is great. I just have to be mindful. And I know very few guys of you use 4lo, I just figured it would cut down on stress.

7. jimbo64

jimbo64 Senior Member

I generally plow in 4 high but do use 4 low if the snow is deep, wet and heavy. When shifting out of or into 4 high i'm either stopped or barely moving but that has always been a habit of mine and if i'm only going a short distance through the snow I leave it in 4high. I've never felt comfortable about "shift on the fly"...emphasis on "fly". It might not hurt to have your tranny flushed and a new filter installed... might prevent weirder things from happening in the middle of the night in the middle of a storm.

8. dieselss

What do you mean "weird things"?

9. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

I don't own any automatic's but I know enough to know if I felt if there was weird things going on I'd have it looked into.

10. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

If you get on the gas while it's in the pause stage of shifting into any gear it will slip badly. Put it in park and actually wait for it to go into gear and not be in a hurry and it's perfect. I most certainly won't be shifting into 4 lo on the fly haha

11. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

i have never used 4 low except to see if it works when buying the truck.
    if your trans is acting funky get the fluid and filter changed . it should be done every 30 to 35 thousand miles.

12. mike6256

mike6256 Senior Member

I have used 4lo a few times in deep wet snow but wow does backing up suck!!

13. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

And if I don't trust the local ford dealership... Guess I'll go buy the 20 quarts of ATF needed and the filter and do it myself

14. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

It will up and down shift MORE with it in 4Lo

15. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

Unless I put it in 1 on the column

16. dieselss

If you leave it in manual first, and low, your top speed will be like 3 mphs

17. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Same....... wesport

18. Robinson_Cnst

Robinson_Cnst Senior Member

I wouldn't recommend 4 lo on pavement. You'll were out more than just a trans.

19. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

Point taken guys, I'll just use it in serious high load scenarios. Thanks guys!

20. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

A fluid and filter is just wasted money. Either get it repaired now, or sell/trade now. Trust me here.