1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How much truck would a 8611 Blizzard require?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Buswell Forest, Mar 5, 2014.

1. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Someone posted in another thread that the 8611 full size weighs 1500 lbs.
    If that is accurate, what is the least amount of truck it requires?
    I have a 10k gvw F250 now, and the xv is no problem, but it is only 1000 lbs..
    Is an 11300 lb gvw F350 enough truck for the 8611?

2. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

What's the FAWR of a 350 SRW?

Should be on their website.........

3. procut

procut Senior Member

It was always my understanding that the 8611 was for medium-duty trucks, not pick-ups. The 8611LP can go on a 250/350 2500/3500.

4. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

That is correct, only a low pro can go on a light duty truck. Medium duty is needed for an 8611.

5. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

We have one on our f550 truck pushes it fine as im sure a 250/350 would assuming u werent trying to push 2 ft of heavy wet snow. Now lugging that plow job to job is a different story.the f550 carrys it well with the timbrens installed. I cant see a 350 front end surviving long with it. Get a lopro. Trust me.

6. cda817

cda817 Senior Member

I have an 8611 LP on my 550 and it handles it no problem don't even know its there. My buddy has one on his 350 dump and he said he feels the weight but seems to be holding up ok. I don't think i would put it on my pickup as it weighs nearly 1100lbs.

7. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

If guys are putting 8'6" vee plows on their half tons, you should be able to fit an 8611 on the front of a prius.

8. bliz&hinikerDLR

bliz&hinikerDLR Senior Member

Had 8611 full sizes on 1-ton dodge's w/cummins. Truck frames had a noticable arc when viewed from the side when the plow was lifted. Truck mount did not last more than 3 years as it was not designed for the weight of an 8611PP. I would recommend you stick with the F450/550 or the Chev 4500/5500. Also fits nice on Internationals.

9. allagashpm

allagashpm Senior Member

Front end on 350s is I believe 5600 on gassers 6000 on diesel with the plow package

10. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I read where the lp was weak, and not up to hard use....and a 550 is out. Need a pickup for the drives.
    Looks like a 9.5 XV-2 with fisher wings on an F350...I suppose 10'6" is close enough to 11' for my uses.
    And I really didn't want to give up the V anyway.

Thanks all.

11. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I've moved an 8611 with my 350. I've even plowed for a few hours with it. I would never mount one permanently on it without a crapload of suspension upgrades. Even then I wouldn't.

Newer 8611 LP (post DD and whatever the new designation is) will not hold up to hard use. Pre-DD will, I am actual proof of that. lol There's been a few upgrades and with urethane wing edges, I have not had bent slide boxes or as many bent wings as prior to urethane edges\upgrades.

To be fair, I think DD made some changes after the first year since peeps were far less than pleased, but they are not boxed like the pre-DD's and overall, are a lighter plow so they "fit more platforms". Which is code for: All we care about is selling plows, ruggedness and reliability are a distant 10th on the list of importance. If they are even on the list.

12. northernsweeper

northernsweeper Senior Member

I have had an 8611LP on a 97 F350 for 4 years with no problems. I have timbrens on. The plow has been used exclusively for commercial. I love it.

13. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

I have one on an 2008 F450 , which does handle it real well. I have used it on my 1984 Chevy K30 on one storm. I wouldnt recomend an 8611 on anything smaller than a 4500 series truck for continuios use. Thats a lot of weight on the front of the smaller trucks.