1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How much truck needed?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by plowfever, Jan 15, 2014.

1. plowfever

plowfever Senior Member

Been awhile since I have posted anything so I hope all you guys are having a safe and profitable year so far. I am looking at finally switching over to bulk. I am looking at either going with the Boss VBX or Salt Dogg 2000. Both spreader hold about 2yds. Having always used bagged material I am not sure how much 2yds of salt would weigh and how big of truck I am going to need to put it in. I will be adding a new truck and plow as well so I want to make sure I get what is needed. I run Chevy 2500HDs now and will stick with GM for sure unless I get a heck of a deal on a knock off brand. I didn't know if 2500 would be enough or if I should step up to a 3500. I won't be plowing with it loaded completely I will be storing salt onsite at a couple of my large factories in 40 yd dumpsters. Thanks for the advise!
  2. T-Trim

T-Trim Senior Member
    from NE OH

A 2500 might be a little underrated. 1 ton would be your best bet or safe bet. If you add the weight of the spreader plus deicer you would be over on the 2500 but you could do it. On a 3500 or plus you'll easily do it. I don't know if your running dry or wet bulk which would play a lot into it. Hope that helps
  3. Ajreeves

Ajreeves Junior Member
    from Nh

I plow with an 04 2500. Have a 1.5 cu yd in the bed. Never had an issue with the weight although I try not to load up heavy if I am not spreading for a while. I believe 1 yd of salt equals about 1 ton(1.02 to be exact I think).
  4. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

I have a 3500 and always ran 2500's before with vboxes. The main difference is the rear helper springs. If you run Timbrens etc. the 2500's will be finer.
  5. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I run a 2500 with a SnowEx 8500. Usually wet bulk. Along with a 500ish pound toolbox across the bed in front of the spreader. Factory leaf springs and air-lift airbags.
  6. plowfever

plowfever Senior Member

Have any of you guys ran either of these spreaders? I am leaning more toward the Boss simply because I run there plows and they have held up well for me. I'm am not sure about Salt Dogg. They are $1000-1200 cheaper but price isn't everything.
  7. Ajreeves

Ajreeves Junior Member
    from Nh

Whatever you run go electric. I like the new fisher polycasters
  8. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

We have the Salt Dogg at work, works great.
  9. JustJeff

JustJeff PlowSite.com Addict

And which trucks were you referring to as "knock off brands"?
  10. brianbrich1

brianbrich1 PlowSite.com Addict

Have a few 1.5 saltdogg. The oldest being 3 years old 4 seasons. 0 issues with any of them. Only complaint would be heavy spread to one side but that really doesn't affect anything other than where you drive while spreading
  11. Mike NY

Mike NY Senior Member
    from zone 5

Salt is approx 2000lbs per cu/yd. more if wet. Add up the weight of your truck, plow, salter, salt, tools, pass, Mcdonalds wrappers, everything. I bet you will go over GVW with the 2500.
  12. bigmackmiller

bigmackmiller Member

I think you would get along fine with some airbags added to the rear
  13. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

Something to consider is if you're over your GVW, not only are you risking getting DOT'ed, but if you're in an accident, your insurance may not cover you.

With a Big V-box on the back, I'd get a dually and be done.
  14. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

He's storing salt on site who cares.

We run 2 yards in 2500hds no issues. If you're worried about it put some airbags on it.

Dually just for a vbox is overkill lol
  15. fozzy

fozzy Member

Make sure your truck is rated for the weight your going to have in it. That includes your plow salter yourself and the weight of the truck, then throw the weight of the salt into the mix and you may be pushing the legal limits by DOT standards. If your over your gross and get pulled over it can be real expensive, and even more expensive if you get into an accident while over weight. The DOT in my state really likes to screw with landscape trucks.
  16. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

weight adds up really fast... you can go over the gvw of a chevy 2500 very fast. what do you have an 8800 gvw? if so

-6200 truck
    -1000 plow if you have a v plow
    -180 you
    -700 sander
    -150 misc and tools

without even adding sand you can legally put about 570 pounds of salt in it.. or roughly a 1/4 of a yard
    now i dont know about chevy 3500 but a srw f350 usually has a gvw of like 11400 which would leave much more room
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  17. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

and you will be close to 5k pounds of payload between two yards of material and a 2 yard vbox. just an fyi. but if you really never do leave the site loaded up then i wouldnt hesistate to use a 2500, but if you do plan on traveling with it i wouldnt do it
  18. Mike NY

Mike NY Senior Member
    from zone 5

Whats the difference in price for a new 2500 vs 3500? $1500.
    A 2500 will get the job done but...
  19. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Higher insurance, tags etc. I wouldn't buy a 3500 just to carry a vbox around.

The only difference is one leaf spring and the sticker on the door. We use 2500hds with 2 yards of salt. Toss an add a leaf or airbags in the back if you're worried about it.

Its not like he's going to be loaded plowing through a storm. He said salts on site. We have salt at one site and every site is within 10 minutes of there
  20. snowplower1

snowplower1 Senior Member

running 2500 with saltddogg 2500

We get our salt from a place that loads us up and with the 2500 hd and poly 7'6" plow we weigh 7000 lbs. (thats without all the sidewalk salt that usually has to be carried around) We will not be allowed to put more than a ton in because they have very strict rules about going over the GVW which is only 9200. To say the least it's not worth the troubles you can go through. I would say just get a one ton truck, Thats what we're doing next year