1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How much trans fluid does an 89 F250 hold?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by danmc, Oct 2, 2004.

1. danmc

danmc Member

I sprung a leak in one of the lines to my trans cooler. I replaced the broken line but need to know how much trans fluid my truck holds (the dipstick reads bone dry). It is an 89 F250 with 5.7 V8. I don't know which specific trans it has, the truck is 8600 GVW if that helps.

2. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

Since you do not know what trans I really can't say how much your trans holds, I assume it is an automatic, and based on the truck year it will either be a C-6(3speed), or a AOD(4speed w/overdrive). You could just add a 1/2 quart at a time till it is full.
  3. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I would look at all the other cooling lines too! Mine took 9 qts with a complete drain and filter change.(book says 12 Qts) They use 5/16 cooling line (brake line)the supplied fitting works at the tranny. Use junctions to join lines. Make sure the clamps have not rusted out on rubber hoses! Use screw driver not anything else to tighten! Mine has the C-6 ->3 speed. Any other questions just PM me I help anybody!!!!!