1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How much to pay family

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by lawnsrusinc., Dec 14, 2007.

1. lawnsrusinc.

lawnsrusinc. Senior Member

Hope everyones year is going great and everyone is safe!!
    I am looking what a good pay would be for my younger brother he has a 2004 Ford F150 and a brand new blizzard 760 7'6 Speedwing.

Whats a good sub pay or whats a good pay as an employee (since he works full time for me in the summer)

Thanks Jason
  2. alternative

alternative PlowSite.com Addict

60/hr family or notpayup
  3. 92XT

92XT Senior Member

as much as possible
  4. firelwn82

firelwn82 PlowSite.com Addict

Just because he's your brother doesn't mean you have to pay him anymore or less. Pay him the normal sub rates that are in your area. I will never work for free and I don't expect my employees or subs to either. Around here "POOR Mich" Subs are making $75 and up with there own truck or 10-15 with company truck. Just remember pay well and get good employees and workmanship, Treat them well and you get treated well.
  5. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

Don't do business with family

Help him get a job at someone else's company
    In the long run, everyone will be much happier.
  6. poncho62

poncho62 Senior Member

How much would he pay you?
  7. firelwn82

Oh yeah, forgot that little tid bit also. Thats the best advice on this thread so far.
  8. lawnsrusinc.

lawnsrusinc. Senior Member

oh i hear you about family but he has worked for my comp. for 3-4 years i have more than enough emp. that i dont see him or them. I dont even deal directly with him since i have managers etc... so dont work for family or with is not a deal. I could pay him 20 or 100 and he wouldnt care i just want to be fair.
  9. firelwn82

Like I said pay him like the rest of your guys or the rate in your area.
  10. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

if i had a plow on my truck i would care if i was only getting $20 pr hr. wats the point of plowing with your truck for that much. give him 60 -80 and all is well.
  11. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Treat him fairly and see what happens. Sometimes as LC stated it's better not to do buisiness with family but being from the farm I think family can learn to work together.
  12. ray@cape.com

ray@cape.com Junior Member
    from gardner

i worked a snow shovel all night last night with my brother on his route and all i got was a cheese burger and coffee from McDonalds. :dizzy:
  13. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

i would be pissed... :angry:
    shouldve signed a contract before you left the house:rolleyes:
  14. dfdsuperduty

dfdsuperduty Senior Member

I pay my dad 150.00 per storm as long as he is not out for over 8 hrs anything over 8hrs is 20.00 per hr. Before anyone trys to start saying that i am only giving him 2.00 an hr more this is what we agreed with. He doesn't want to take any money at all he is retired and just enjoys this kind of work also he is usually only about about 5-6 hrs at a time again this is what we agreed upon
  15. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Been there done that but I do the same to him with clean-ups so its OK I guess. What goes around comes around.
  16. PowerWagon

PowerWagon Senior Member

Hello all,

You know my brother worked at the pizza hut, when boss send him out to clean off the side walk half block about 100 ft. Of wet heavy snow from street!! He was so pissed but.... He called Dad then Dad called me, yeah I bring over the 317 JD lawn tractor with Snow Blower on front as we Dad and sons cleaned off this side walk in less 15 mins!! The Boss looked out window saw what we did yeah we saw him too it was so Fun!!

After we done and come in to sit order Pizza, the bill was around 50 something, when we near done eating, boss come up and took the bill away from us for cleaning the side walk, and I said hey we should do that again haha.

17. tom_mccauley

tom_mccauley Senior Member

Yet another fine example of why to do commercial!!!!
  18. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Ignore the family relationship at work. Pay him what you pay the other guys in the same situation.
  19. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

Is he out making you money?
    Is the truck covered under your insurance? (Employee & not a sub)
    Does he have another job during the winter?
    Do you have other people doing the same thing?
    Are you responsable for truck/plow repairs?

I pay my guys double their summer rate to do work for me in the snow removal area.