1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How much to pay a sub??

Discussion in 'Employment' started by show-n-go, Oct 18, 2009.

1. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

What would be considered fair money to pay a sub per hour that has his own truck and plow. The guy is reliable and doesn't mess around, he comes in and gets the job done without having to be watched all the time.

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

$150.00an hour and a cup of coffee.

3. NorthernSvc's

NorthernSvc's Senior Member

$100-120.00 hr ( depending on truck size and type of plow)

4. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

you guys are crazy. northeast ohio subs can pull 65 an hour max. thats with a 8611 and fully insured to 3 mil and 5 mil aggregate!!!!

5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Fine,$40.00 an hour and 2 cups of coffee .

6. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

wow i was thinking i was being robbed there for a min, thanks suzuki now that i know im in the right money. Sounds like i should move north for the winter.

7. NorthernSvc's

i make 200.00 hr off each truck... i'd rather not deal with, why can't you come in??? or why is it taking you 2 hours to do a job i know only takes 1.... or so your truck is broke again huh?... or you know you can't drink while your plowing, no i don't care that its a private parking lot... or worrying about people stealing business from me... good subs are hard to find, and they are worth every penny!
    i also usually don't do hourly rates, i pay flat fees for 2-4,4-6,6-8 ( i just use those numbers to help figure out rates...) more incentive for people to work harder if they know they are only getting x...no more milking clocks etc etc..

Last edited: Oct 18, 2009
  8. NorthernSvc's

but hey like anything else around here you get what you pay for...
    and i have really short routes so they expect more money an hour, typical 2-4" is 3 hours of work...

Last edited: Oct 18, 2009
  9. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

$50-60 depending what his truck/plow combo is.

10. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

finally another honest person!! my god i thought i was by myself ... .200/hr . c'mon guy doctors dont make that, nor do lawyers.

11. 98Chevy2500

98Chevy2500 Senior Member

65 with a decent truck and 8' plow, 70+ with an 810

12. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

65-80/hr depending on truck, plow and expierience. Years of service/dedication can be an incentive for a few more bucks

13. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

70/hr is the going rate here

14. Chrisxl64

Chrisxl64 Senior Member
    from CT

my best advice is to get info from guys around you if they will share it with ya. The best way to get the best people is offer them what anyone would want, a good boss that they work with, not for, and a competive wage.

15. nekos

nekos Senior Member

Good subs know when to milk the clock and when not to also. Our route takes 4 1/2 hours regardless of how much snow. ( with the exception of very large storms and blizzards) Some times you just need an extra cup of coffee that takes 20 minutes to drink before you finish those last 2 passes but every thing is always done on time ! Good subs also will not stick around if you push them to get done fast. Were out there to make money.

I like the way you pay though. Sounds fair and if i wasn't treated so good where I'm at now i would seriously consider working for a flat rate like you have set up. Just curious how you pay for the larger storms though ? Our route could be done in 4 1/2 hours easy, That doesn't mean I'm only out for 4 /12 hours a night though. I have more then 1 lot that needs to be kept clean at all times. It's not uncommon for me to run back to them 4 and 5 times during a storm.

16. NorthernSvc's

nekos,
    i only have 2 subs, the majority of the work i do is for people who expect it done constantly and they get that service.
    i figure in extra time, i break it down by 2-4", 4-6", 6-8". anything over 8" is by the hour.
    subs only go out for the initial opening. i have crews and employees whod rive my equipment who go back during the day after big storms to follow up with opening of parking spaces etc.

what you guys fail to take into account is the original poster basically painted the picture of the perfect employee - or a real good sub unfortunately they are so hard to find that when i do find them ill treat em like gold "The guy is reliable and doesn't mess around, he comes in and gets the job done without having to be watched all the time." I work full time for a fire department so it means a lot to me to be able to show a guy a property once and walk through it with him at the beggining of the year, and not have to worry about it for the rest of the winte, because 1/3rd of the winter im not there to check up on them...

now most guys that start out won't make that much, untill i know that they are good i usually start around 75-85 an hour - figured into the pricing structure i said before.
    i pay more because i don't use my subs that much, so i think its only fair, i see it as they could be working for someone else who doesn't care as much about getting stuff done in such a quick amount of time, or they have accounts which arent as time sensitive, so they can have alarger route and work more.

so i ask you would you rather work for 3 hours and make $300, or 5 hours @65hr.
    my subs have their own routes and customers, as long as my stuff is numero uno i don't care what else they do...

17. nekos

nekos Senior Member

I wasn't saying anything bad about the way you pay ! Like i said i think it is fair how you do it. I was just unsure how you handled / paid your subs when we get the big storms.

Sorry if i came across like i was bashing you or the way you paid your sub's. I didn't mean it like that at all. I was agreeing with what you said , I just kinda added that good subs know when to milk the clock. In my situation my boss knows we can get our route done faster then we do. He also knows we wouldn't stick around if we got the route done in 2 hours and that was it. It's not worth it from our end.

Again i wasn't in anyway trying to say anything bad about the way you pay i just didn't under stand it.

18. Grampa Plow

Grampa Plow Senior Member
    from Midwest

What do you guys do with call backs (if you have them)? Pay them again or is that expected? Just curious, I have never used subs...always have used my equipment and hired drivers.

19. There is a company around here that pays their subs 50.00 an hour. That does not include drive time. They will pay from the time you drop your blade until the lot is done.

20. NorthernSvc's

nekois,
    no offence taken! they way i do it is kinda complicated and i did a bad job of explainin it, so just wanted to make sure everyone was on the same page!
    grampa, no call backs for subs, i have my own guys and my own equipment, subs are only used for the initial opening up. but i guess if i got in a bad bind ( my employees calle dof, my trucks broke...) then it would be by the hour, same as if the storm dropped more than 8" in a 24hr period...