1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How Much to Pay A Sub

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by xc23, Nov 15, 2007.

1. xc23

xc23 Member

I Am hiring a sub for the first time , and wondering how much to offer him. He is new to plowing so I am giving him my residential drives only . He has a 2004 Chevy 1/2 ext cab with a 71/2 fisher mm2. I am in the central new York area. I am thinking of paying him per hour 2 1/2- 3 hr per event ,I plowed the route last year so I can estimate the time. I am figuring on 22-25 events for the season. Any info would be greatly appriciated.

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

50 bucks an hour?
  3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

He should pay the teacher for his schooling:D

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

So i take it he is brandy new to snow plowing??? If so start him off at 30 a hour. Make sure he is insured too. You don't want to be paying for a garage door and maybe some damage to some cars inside the garage too just in case something should happen.
  5. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

$30 an hour ... that stinks. $50 for a first timer if they seem responsible/
  6. xc23

xc23 Member

Thanks I think I will go in the middle at 35-40 and see how he works out. Much appreciated
  7. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Sounds like he is an Employee.:confused:

Be careful come tax time.
    Yours and His....
  8. StratfordPusher

StratfordPusher Senior Member

What about his fuel

Hey, you gotta face it, a sub gotta make money or he's not worth having... if he has good equipment and knows what he is doing he will make you good money.... with fuel prices as they are 50.00 an hour is still cheap

I pay my subs 50.00 per hour plus fuel... they look after me real good...
    and I don't have to worry or check on them....it's worth the extra...

My 2 cents...

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

i'd tell you to pack sand for 35-40 bucks an hour......
  10. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I'm surprised you can find guys for $50, I've been to Straford before and it's a nice real nice town. Price depends on area and what I would do is sit down with the guy and ask him what he expects to make. It doesn't take long for a good operator to catch on. If the guy can't plow by the third storm, find someone else because he's never going to be any good.
  11. StratfordPusher

StratfordPusher Senior Member

Stratford is Cheap for subs

Hi JD, it is a nice city thanks.... with all the plant closings and layoffs in the area it seems like there is a bunch of new grass and snow removal companies popping up every time a plant shuts.... fools, they must think there is money in this... lol

I have seen written quotes for late model trucks, plows with driver going at 28.00 per hour, single driveways for 15.00 per.... it really makes it hard to charge what the jobs are worth when your dealing with a bunch of newbies and lowballers....

I can still get good quality subs and equipment for 50.00 per hour..... but believe their true value should be around 65-75 depending on the equipment and the driver...

I agree, if by the third time out he is not making you happy, drop him and move on....

12. iakentdoz

iakentdoz Senior Member

I'm getting 55 per hour and this is my first year as a sub. I was hopping for 65-75 but I know I'll get more next year.
  13. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

2.5 hours per event. he might get maybe 15 events if hes lucky? (guessing. figure residential isnt zero tolerance)so that is 37.5 total hours? at sixty a hour thats only 2250.00

your basically covering his insurance and maybe some of his gas. if thats right do him a favor and tell him you wont hire him because your accounts may not even support you paying the sixty a hour and any breakdowns on his truck could eat that up easy. i know i wouldnt sub for that and i have no idea how many plowable storms you guys get or what his insurance rates are, but thats me.
  14. CHCSnowman

CHCSnowman Senior Member
    from Indiana

I get $65 per hour plus time bonus, usually around $75-80 an hour, per truck and operator payup
  15. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

bribrius, Read the first post again. They get 22 -25 pushes per season. That makes it 3 hrs x 25 pushes x $40 hour = $3000 or at $60/hr = $4,500

Figure out how many drives per hour he can do (you did last year)
    Figure out how much you make (profit if you were to do it yourself) on those same drives.

$XX.xx per drive * # of drives per hour - paying sub $XX.xx per hour - your expenses = profit

When you get a profit you can live with you have the sub hourly rate.

Then sit down with him and ask him what he expects to get paid. Make it clear to him that he is responsable for the work, insurance, gas, repairs, etc.
  16. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

He is a sub"contractor"
    Why do you care about his profit margin?

Do you think that is all he can do?
    He is a contractor TOO.
    He (the sub"contractor") could have many more accounts you know nothing about.

He is a sub-"contractor" not an employee...... or is he?

I think this is one of the biggest misconceptions on this board.
    Allot of members think they are hiring a sub when they are hiring an employee.
    A sub Is an independent contractor that works for the general contractor..
    He has his own business

not a employee
  17. HBLandscaping

HBLandscaping Member

Up until 2 yrs ago I work as a sub for a couple different companies and I was paid $75 & $80 per hour plus one of the companies would give me $50 for gas to fill -up before the storm. My time started from the time the boss called and said to head out until the time I pulled back into my driveway, Also all on road time (Travel Time) between sites was included. The last company I worked for also gave each worker an additional $15 per every 8 hours worked for Food/Drinks.
  18. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

I get $90/hr the clock starts running when i leave my driveway, until i pull into my driveway again at the end of the storm. I get a good amount of hours per storm, plus some times the boss is lazy and i go salt for him in one of his trucks. I get 50 hr for that, plus its a tailgate spreader so it take time to fill it up. I def found a home for snowplowing for the forcibly future.
  19. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

I hope you are joking.......a beginner on Residential Driveways?????? They belong in parking lots where no damage can be done.....not in between houses, garages, parked cars, and retaining walls.
  20. fordzilla1155

fordzilla1155 Senior Member

Ask him what he wants to plow each drive. That way everyone is happy...