1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How much to pay a sub

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by R.J.S. SNOWPLOW, Oct 30, 2011.

1. R.J.S. SNOWPLOW

R.J.S. SNOWPLOW Senior Member

I wondering how much are subs worth today
    A sub with a 7.6 plow no salter
    A sub with a 7.6 plow and a tail gate salter
    A sub with a 7.6 plow and a vbox
    Thanks you

2. Mdwstsnow512

Mdwstsnow512 Senior Member

Salter generally wont increase the rate, maybe just increase the hours you get. at least thats my experience.

3. R.J.S. SNOWPLOW

I bided on 15.4 acres if I win the bid I will have to hire subs at least 3 that's why I posted the thread

4. dan6399

dan6399 Member

For 15+ acres Id sugest using 9' blades, 8.5-9.5' V plows, maybe have some plow wings on them as well it would cut your time but a lot. But anyways around here in Ma you see between $60-72/hr for subs with 8' plows and up. Usually dont see many 7.5' on commercial lots.

Good luck!

5. chs1993

chs1993 Senior Member

Id get a loader with a push box. Around me 50-70 an hour

6. R.J.S. SNOWPLOW

It's 4 locations not one location so a loader won't be needed there are 3 about 4.5 acres 1 2.3 acres
    I thought 3 trucks with vboxs take about an 1.5 hours each except the 2.3 would take 40 min.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
  7. R.J.S. SNOWPLOW

With or without salters

8. R.J.S. SNOWPLOW

Mine is a Meyer lot pro 7.6 with multi blades makes plow 10.4
    I have done commercial accounts befor but this is my first time going to hire subs
    Till I get my own trucks....

Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  9. NorthernSvc's

NorthernSvc's Senior Member

i wuld pay a sub with a 7.6 blad $75.00 hour... if he has a bigger blade = more money, v plow / wideout with 1 ton = $100.00... no increase for salters.. you just get more hours...

10. dan6399

dan6399 Member

Around here backhoes with pushers get about $100. 1 tons are lucky to get the $75/hr.

It makes a lot more sense now that I know its separate lots. 1 truck per lot should be good. Maybe bring a bobcat around after to stack it or if someones falling behind.

Good luck!

11. R.J.S. SNOWPLOW

Thanks guys I do have 2 trucks but it's always nice to have more than what I need just in case

12. Silverstreak

Silverstreak Senior Member

depends what your rates are...? everywhere seems to be different

75 is average, 85 if a guy works above and beyond or has some crazy huge rig

and yeah a salter just means more hours....

some v boxes i pay 85 an hour to if its my salt... and if theyre only salting

13. Maleko

Maleko Senior Member
    from Ct

Anywhere from $85 to $100 here, We can get more with a sander.

14. iceman1

iceman1 Sponsor

pay them a fair price. Make sure you understand production rates when you tell a sub what u will pay him. a V plow or a wide out is worth more than a straight blade all day. The biggest thing is pay them fast. This is what has killed the national guys. they pay so slow.

15. BORIS

BORIS Senior Member

I try to make $5/$10 an hour off my subs for me that is fair for the both of us.

16. peterng

peterng Senior Member

Thats a great way to phrase it. How much do you try to make off your subs. Thanks B.
    Pete