1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How much to mark up for profit

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by DAZ982500, Sep 25, 2009.

1. DAZ982500

DAZ982500 Senior Member

I am bidding on 7 properties this season.i cannot perform all the work myself, I have elected to hire subs.I do not have the numbers yet for me or from them .My question is in order for me to make money what sort of mark up would be reasonable .For example, If the price for plowing is 150, salt 150 Markup of 10%,20% to the total price .Barring whether the bid is competive how might you approach this.I will not be performing any of the work except 1 location.I choose to work with this company because they have there own salt and trucks and are very reliable, experienced and proffesional.Also it will open future opportunities for me.The bottom line is I want to make somrthing here too.They will not be payed sub rates they will dicatate price and that is it.Iam the small guy here.Hope the question is clear.Dave
  2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Let me get this straight. You have one truck, and have bid on several properties. You intend to use a LARGER company with several trucks, crew, salt storage etc, as your subcontractor?

What makes you think they won't/didn't bid directly on the job for the same price, or even less, than the price they give you?