1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How Much To Charge

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ALEX516, Jan 25, 2004.

1. ALEX516

ALEX516 Senior Member

How much would you think is a fair price for sanding with mix a 500' driveway, asphalt?

Driveway is slight incline and is 300' and then makes left turn for remaining 200'.

I'm just curious since I mostly do commercial and this is my first LARGE residential other than small 2 car driveways.

Thanks!

2. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation Senior Member

charge the same as you would if its commercial .

3. ALEX516

ALEX516 Senior Member

SAME?

i DON'T THINK THE LONG ISLAND, NY MARKET would be able to do that.

I think i'd be out of business, but maybe I'm wrong.
    What would you charge?

4. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation Senior Member

Its the same material going down on the pavement, its the same truck plowing snow and its the same spreader applying the materials. Why wouldnt you charge the same as you get on commercial?

5. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

It's the same old thing, if it wasn't for the lowballers, people would have to pay the going rate. Econ 101, What The Market Will Bare. As long as the lowballers are around the market won't bare much, until the people also figure out, You Get What You Pay For. I still can't figure out the guy that says, I'm just doing this for the fun of it or for something to do, or to suppliment my income. His equipement costs are the same, the amount of time is the same, why would someone go out and do a $50 plow job for $25? Why would someone go out and do a minimum mowing job of $30 for $18? Maybe I have missed something.

6. bcf

bcf Senior Member

THose people don't realize how much they are hurting themselve and others. They don't think ahead about repairs, unhappy customers, gas, and all that important stuff us professionals have to deal with on a daily basis. If they would get their heads out of where the sun don't shine the economy would improve. THe only thing we have going for us is the fact that they will hopefully shape up or be out of business soon.

as to the original question, I don't do much salting, and don't have any big residentials like that. I gave a quote to a lady for a circle driveway with an outside redius of about 115', and another 40' by 20' spot to the garage for $90. She told me the guy who's been doing it for the last few years has been doing it for $35, any amount. I brought my price down to $65, but she told me I was seeing stars, nobody would pay that much. I told her then you better get a hold of the other guy, because my time was worth more than that. She said she couldn't get a hold of him. Hmm, I wounder why. Sorry for hijacking the thread, you just reminded me of that. But I would think at around 4,000 sq. ft, with plowing and sanding, you should at least start at a commercial-like price. If they don't want to pay a fair price, they're not worth the time.

7. legoconstruct

legoconstruct Junior Member

HOW LONG WILL IT TAKE YOU TO PLOW THIS PROPERTY.
    THIS IS WHAT WE DO ITS $1000 PER HOUR
    THAT DRIVEWAY SHOULD TAKE 15 MINUTES AT THE MOST, SO ITS 250.
    IM IN SI NY THESE PRICES SHOULD BE IN LINE WITH LONG ISLAND.
    A DIRVEAY IS FAST TO PLOW JUST A COUPLE OF PASSES AND YOUR DONE.
    REMEMBER ON A COMMERCIAL JOB NO ONE IS HANGING OVER YOUR SHOULDER, RESIDENTAL JOBS THE GUYS OUT THERE TELLING YOU WHAT TO DO.
    ALSO IT SHOULD BE CASH AND PLOW PEOPLE FORGET WHAT A GREAT JOB YOU DO FAST.
    GOOD LUCK THATS MY 2 CENTS