1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How much to charge

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by blk90s13, Oct 19, 2010.

1. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

per ton ? whats the going rate I dont wanna loose out on anything

this will be our first year salting out of a truck and not just bagged
  2. alternative

alternative PlowSite.com Addict

It really depends on what you pay for your salt...
  3. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

In my area there is no "going rate". To many variable's . Only you know your cost of operating your business, and your cost of material.
    You want to lose out on the majority of your bids or you'll end up working for peanuts.
  4. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

Don't bid low on salt. You are assuming more liability and should be compensated for that. Your salting should be priced with large margins to account for the risk.
  5. badabing1512

badabing1512 Senior Member

At least double the cost
  6. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

thats what I was thinking as well thanks
  7. snowtech

snowtech Member

dont know about your area here you can find guys charging as little as 125 a ton and as much as 450 a ton. lots of variables like mentioned above. if you are gonna guess guess high, not worth it unless you can make some money on it
  8. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

When you have doubt always multiply your material time 3. I get around $200 a ton, but I also make it a $75 min for any lot.