1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How much to charge per bag of salt to spread?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Lasher66, Nov 5, 2007.

1. Lasher66

Lasher66 Member

Just starting in salting and I am bidding some lots for plow and salting, so I was wondering what are some of the prices you guys are getting for a bag of salt spread. I think the salt around here is going about $3 a 50# bag, so what do you think I should charge for a lot that would take about 10 bags. Thanks

2. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

I get .30 cents a pound spread.
  3. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

I get $14.00 for a 50 lb bag if it's for sidewalks etc...
  4. fulltiltwill

fulltiltwill Senior Member

spreadin salt

Here in the G.L.A. you can get 20-25 per 50# bag spread, but most of the salt like glacier melt is more like 7.50-8.00 per bag.
  5. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Are you spreading 5-700lbs per lot at that price?
  6. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

Salt is 12 to 15 dollars a bag here.:eek:
    IF you buy it by the pallet
    it's even more otherwise.

I have to charge 50 cents a lb just to make 50%.
  7. Stuffdeer

Stuffdeer Senior Member

Holy crapp.

6 bucks for a bag in Sams Club here.
  8. cod8825

cod8825 Member

Are formula is pretty simple we use professional ice melter good product.

We get are supplies at $5.50 a bag if purchased in a skid so we have a minimum of one skid.

One bag covers 2500 sq ft at the suggested rate of 3oz per sq yd.
    We want to make 40 dollars per bag so we charge 1.5 cents per sg ft. makes it easy for us

We have high end commercial accounts with pre treatments that do not want to have customers slipping to get the groceries and movie rentals.:D
  9. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

So just to make sure my math is right, you want $653.40/acre to salt? What's the sq/ft of your average lot?
  10. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

Your formula? We are not treating for grubs, applying herbicide or fertilizer here people. Not trying to bash you, but you better figure out a little bit about snow and ice before giving too much advice. For example, your application rates are going to vary drastically based upon ground temperatures, air temps, thickness of ice, and what product you are using as a de-icer. These are just a few variables. Let's not forget about what speed you are running your spreader combined with truck speed, etc. Lots of variables with ice. Asphalt or cement? Sunny day or overcast? You would be amazed how much quicker it melts on asphalt located in a sunny spot when the temps are around 30 degrees as compared to a cement truck dock without much sunlight. Many, many, many variables. But what do I know? I don't even have a formula.

As far as the question, $.36 per pound rock salt, and more like $.60 per pound ice melt for the walks. That is what we get for bagged products. Hope it helps.
  11. cod8825

cod8825 Member

JD Dave,

When reading the post I believed he was referring to Ice Melt(Calcium Chlorige, Magnesium Chloride) such not Sodium Chloride(rock salt) for spreaders in plow trucks. For plow trucks are costs are $45 per ton of salt and we apply generally at a rate of one tone per acre so we charge $75 dollars per acre one acre minimum.

Since Lasher is applying ten 50 pound bags I would say he should charge at least 60 dollars twice his cost.

For us 1.5 cents per sq ft allows us to get are desired rates
  12. Snowpower

Snowpower Senior Member

75 per ton applied? I wish you were closer. Id sub you out to salt my accounts at those prices, and stay in bed.

You get salt for 45 a ton in Missouri?
  13. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds good, I wish I got 1.5 cents for ice melter and also bought salt for $45/ton.
  14. cod8825

cod8825 Member

Snowpower first we order 350 tons of salt every year we have eighteen trucks. Fifteen for plowing three for sidewalks. We usually order close to 600 bags or 12 skids of ice melt at 5.50 a bag this year. That is are intial order but this is becuase we decided to buy direct from salt mines.

Last we were paying 75 a ton for salt and 12 a bag for ice melt. We called a lot of places to get these prices. And sorry we charge 90 an acre to spread I got cost mixed on earlier post.
    Last year we charged 4 cents per square ft.
  15. Snowpower

Snowpower Senior Member

Well thats a better rate at 90. I figured youd have to be buying bulk and then some. Thats obvious. Hope you guys in KC have a good year.
  16. tjlands

tjlands Senior Member

17. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

$45 is cheap. We use between 1200-1500 ton and buy direct and we pay $63.50. Our salt comes in by the boat load, so that why it costs more I guess.
  18. Kason & Riley

Kason & Riley Senior Member

When I do spread bag salt I charge $25 per bag sidewalks or parking lots. Hope this helps.
  19. Snowpower

Snowpower Senior Member

Thats $1000.00 a ton. Now I know you probably use 5 bags a year, but if you extrapolate it out thats pretty high. Keep up the good work. :)
  20. Kason & Riley

Kason & Riley Senior Member

I know its high . I buy a semi truck load ( 18 pallets ) a year, the majority of what I use is bulk. Workers comp is expensive.