1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How much to charge? HELP!

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by Wak313, Mar 19, 2005.

1. Wak313

Wak313 Junior Member

I am new to the business end of plowing and am not sure how to price this:

Paved Residential Driveway - 1/4 mile long
    I usually plow commerical lots and do not know what is fair price for this.

2. rainair

rainair Senior Member

driveway $$$

whats your time,talents, service worth in the time it takes

3. wstwind

wstwind Senior Member

Do you have garages to dig out? Is there enough room to turn around? How many places are there to put snow? Is this account close to others you are doing? What kind of equipment do you run? What's your trigger? These are all questions you need answered before you estimate. Just my opinion. :rolleyes:

4. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Wstwind you missed the most important one. What is your hourly rate ? How can you bid something if you dont know what an hour of your time costs/+profit ??

Todd

5. lawnandplow42

lawnandplow42 Senior Member

maybe 50 bucks.
    Its hard to tell without seeing it.
    Is there any shoveling, or turn arounds? :dizzy:

6. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

If it's local to your route and they will have you come each storm your out. I would charge at least 75.00 . Only if you don't have to get out of your truck. It's long Island, everything is more exspencive! that goes for you too!

7. djfenn

djfenn Junior Member

Dont give away the farm

For a quarter mile driveway, you have to get at least $100. The guy won't shovel it, thats for sure. Personally, I would get $150, being that I service the Hamptons.

8. MikeD520

MikeD520 Junior Member

Subcontractor rates???

Over the past 6 years I have worked as a subcontractor for a subcontractor that worked for the contract owner, in other words... a VERY large grounds/landscape maintenance firms hires subcontractors (we'll call the middleman) to supply the contract owner with plow trucks, salt trucks, ATV's with plows and skid steers to clear large office complexes, pharmaceutical facilities, shopping centers, etc. The "middleman" maybe a small to medium sized landscaping company with some equipment, but them supplements his fleet with local guys that own plow trucks and atv's with plows ("the workers"). I was one of these "workers" for six years, but now have a pest control and need to keep my guys busier throughout the winter with plowing. The contract owner needs me to give him a list of equipment available and their appropriate hourly rates. As one of the "workers" I was paid $70 and $65 per hour for my salt truck and plow truck respectively, and I believe that skid steers and atv's were around $50 per hour. Now that I am becoming the "middleman" what prices do I charge the contrat owner if I need to "pay" each of my pieces of equipment the going rates? Your help will be greatly appreciated.

9. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

MikeD520 - I think this is in the wrong thread.

OK, I see you intended to start a thread instead of replying to this one.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2005
  10. MikeD520

MikeD520 Junior Member

I know, I apologize I was reading this thread and mistakenly posted my thread.... didn't mean to hijack anyone's post.

11. hd2500

hd2500 Junior Member

Where are you?

Where are you located? I'm in water mill