1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

how much to charge for sanding?

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by bow2no1, Jan 9, 2010.

1. bow2no1

bow2no1 Senior Member

i just started sanding on our last storm...
    i use mixed salted sand. it's $35 a yard

what should my mark up be?
  2. Pennings Garden

Pennings Garden Senior Member
    from VA

somewhere between a left turn and $ 10.- per cubic pound:confused:
  3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I use the price for plowing as a baseline. Sanding can be very profitable. Fill the hopper for $50, take in a couple hundred or more easy.

I would be shooting to triple or quadruple my money, at least.
  4. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

I wish i could get mix for that price.
  5. bow2no1

bow2no1 Senior Member

i only submit my bills once a month,
    basically if i plowed a drive way for $65 i would charge $75 for sanding
    hows that sound?
  6. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

I would expect straight salt at that price.
  7. bow2no1

bow2no1 Senior Member

the prices around here are ridiculous, the guy i get my salted sand from. his minimal charge for a drive way is $40...

i just finding out what some people around here are charging and i'm way under..
    one assocation i was going to put a bid in for $80 just to plow. it's a fiarly straight shot easy plow. but i found out some of the member are real A- holes that why they have been through a bunch of plow guys, so i never submitted the bid. but the guy who got it.
    he sands and plows.. for $250!!!! i just about flipped
  8. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

Glad to see you are getting pertinent info about your local market. Much more valuable than the generalizations and extremes found on forums.;)

I've worked the snow industry in three very different and distinct markets here in Ontario. My previous comment was intended to have you think about what your customers are looking for. In my experience sand/salt is cheaper per application than the per/push plowing, generally between 1/3 and 1/2 that of salting.
    Perhaps your sanding rate is O.K. and you need to adjust your plow rate to competitive levels. IDK
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
  9. bow2no1

bow2no1 Senior Member

seems like everyone local i ask i never get a straight answer... it's a hard thing to estimate. with out taking u to the drive way and showing u what i'm actually doing.
    i didn't but maybe someone had somtype of forumula they use to justify their charge.
    no better way to find out then ask...right?
  10. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Even if you posted pics, it would be difficult for us to give an estimate of what we would charge. Just the next town over can be different, let alone the other side of the country. One thing you can do with sanding is charge a lower price if the customer lets you do it while you are there plowing. Saves you travel time, fuel, etc.
  11. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Listen to Palmer... I use the baseline of what I charge per plow also and works out very good.... $100 to plow the lot... $100 to sand the lot (straight salt is 2 times more but I purchase it in bulk to keep my costs down)... you shoud be able to make $500 on a hopper of $70 sand (2 yards)... Its a nice little profit maker......

12. daninline

daninline Senior Member

I guess I'm under pricing when I sand I use it more as a addon from my customers..

Also I get a yard from 40 to 50 depending on the day I guess LOL but it's nice and dry.

I got some last week at a place it was uncovered and wet as hell it was like clay.