1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How much to charge for my first big commercial account

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by Thatplowguy, Sep 23, 2016.

1. Thatplowguy

Thatplowguy Junior Member

Hello,
    I have been plowing mostly residential accounts, and a few small commercial accounts here in Northern New England for almost 5 years now. I have the opportunity to bid on my first big commercial account and need help on how much to charge and what to expect. It is a storage unit facility that has 9 buildings ranging from about 130' to 200' long with plenty of places to put snow, and only one retaining wall to worry about. I will have all of the equipment for the job, just now sure how much to charge. Trigger is 3" and plowed every 2" after. Not sure if this is enough info, but do appreciate the help in advance. Thanks!

2. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

You should start us with a cost... we are not going to do the bidding for you. ;)

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

4. Thatplowguy

A cost as far as, what it will cost me to do it? I'm going to apologize in advance, because in sure I sound like a noob, I've just never had to bid on an account this big before.
    Thanks!

5. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

What's it cost you to run your truck/whatever you're plowing it with?

Storage unit facilities suck the big one to plow without either a v plow or skid and push box

6. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

OK. Give us an idea of what type of equipment you have to start with.

As stated above, storage units are a b*tch for lack of better words with the correct equipment. They are typically fenced in and you only have so many places to stack a whole season of snow. I know you say that there are tons of spots, but as you are new to these, you will find very quickly that when you are doing more than a drive, the snow amounts in a hurry and you rapidly run out of room.

Without a box or a v plow, you will be chasing your ****** trail for hours as you cannot windrow in between buildings.

7. Randall Ave

Randall Ave 2000 Club Member

Plus a six pack of Bud!

8. Randall Ave

Sorry for the other one, put up a picture of the place. What equipment do ya have? Do you have commercial insurance yet?

9. MSsnowplowing

MSsnowplowing Senior Member

compare the commercials you do now with that one.

How much bigger is it?

How much time does it take you to do said Com. Lot's and figure out the time it will take you to do the bigger one and factor in a longer time due due to the alleyways, unless you are using a v plow or skid with a snow box.

example:
    your two com. lots take you 1 hour each and you charge 100 for the first 3 inches and 75 thereafter every 2"

This place will take you 2 hours so you charge 200 for the first 3 and 150 thereafter every 2"

10. Thatplowguy

First off, Thankyou for all of the responses already!
    Okay so, it won't let me upload a pic from my phone of the storage it. What should I include for what it cost me to run my equipment? I added in the employees and gas for the trucks. I will be using a 1 Tom with dump body, and a 3/4 ton both with 8 1/2' and 9' v plows, and a Toyota Tundra with a 7 1/2' straight blade. It costs me $55 an hour to run my trucks. Also there are no fences except at the entrance. Everything else is woods that have been cut back 20-30 feet back from the road. There are only 3 spots I can't push snow. I will try to upload a pic from my computer when I get home. Also I do have commercial insurance

11. MSsnowplowing

MSsnowplowing Senior Member

post the location and we can google it.
    I for one would like to see a storage place that requires that much equipment.
    I did a 7 building storage place with the same runs and only used my 1 ton with a vblade.

12. Randall Ave

Send the picture to your computer. Then post it. You may have to resize it.

13. SFCarmyvet

SFCarmyvet Member

I am having trouble figuring out bidding as well. I think I have figured out that it cost me 33 dollars an hour to just run my equipment. Then I think you have to look in your area and figure out what your area is charging. Then you have to look at how much salt you will need, where you will get it, how much it will cost you. How long will it take you, I have read storage units can be time consuming and pose complications. Then you have to figure out what you want to charge as an hourly rate. LOL, I am still missing a lot of pieces. So I am still researching to make sure I do not low ball my fellow plow guys in my area and keep the market up. Plus I would like to make sure I do not throw a bunch of bids that are too high out there. I figure this will be my year to learn.

14. Randall Ave

If you think it only costs 33 an hour to run your equipment. You have no employees I take it.

FredG and ktfbgb like this.
  15. 98Chevy2500

98Chevy2500 Senior Member

Or equipment repairs yet!

Mark Oomkes, SFCarmyvet and ktfbgb like this.
  16. ktfbgb

ktfbgb Senior Member

I'm no where near you but in my area subs are charging $75 an hour for a HD truck with a 8.5 foot V blade and at least $100 an hour for same set up if they run their own accounts. That does not include if you have a salter in the bed of your truck.
    $65 an hour for a blower
    $45 per man hour for hand shovelers

17. SFCarmyvet

SFCarmyvet Member

Owner operator brand new truck and plow

18. SFCarmyvet

SFCarmyvet Member

I could have figured the cost to operate wrong.

19. ktfbgb

ktfbgb Senior Member

Well it's new so you you have to figure in the payment for the truck, the payment for the plow if you have payments, if not then at least depreciation, commercial auto insurance which is usually a lot more than personal auto, normal maintenance like oil changes for the truck and the plow, fuel, general liability insurance, registration. Then you have operating cost. Then figure out paying yourself, overhead costs to run the business like advertising, phone, internet, electricity, etc. and then finally figure out profit margin on top of all that. That's the hourly price you need to charge.

20. SFCarmyvet

SFCarmyvet Member

I will thoroughly figure that number today. I used some app that I found where I plugged all that information in and it shot a number back out at me.