1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

how much to charge for 20" (residential)

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by sir spaniourd, Jan 22, 2005.

1. sir spaniourd

sir spaniourd Senior Member

I was just wondering what would you charge when plowing an average of a 2 car lot. for 20" i am charging $130. Does it sound too little? This is my first year plowing and with this major storm I think I underbid. What do you guys think?
  2. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

$130 for plowing a driveway once, and this driveway is only big enough for two cars to go in? No you did not underbid it! Wowee... if i could rape my customers like that i'd be driving a new truck too......

However I get the feeling I'm missing something. What gives?
  3. 042500hd

042500hd Senior Member

How Much?

If you can get $130 to plow a two car drive, that's great. I charge $200-$300 for the season, and sometimes I tend to be high, I don't know anyone in the Buffalo area that would pay that. I wish we were making money ike that here.
  4. bolensdriver

bolensdriver Senior Member

Someone paid $50.00 for me to plow a snowbank behind his car. Took a few seconds.
  5. wstwind

wstwind Senior Member

130.00 for 20in. sounds fair, how many times were you there during the storm?
    we are talking about 1 storm, correct?
  6. sir spaniourd

yes, only for this Storm. It was an initial $30 for the first 4 inches. I went 3 times total and I still have to go at least one more time. I've heard many people will charge time and 1/2 after 12", twice after 24" etc. I am charging the same regardless of how much is going to snow. $10 for every additional 2". How do you guys charge(for example this particular storm).
    Thanks in advance.
  7. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

Ah it makes a little more sense now. I thought you meant, you waited till it was all down and wanted $130 to plow out a 2 car area with 20" of snow on it, you meant plowing that area a few different times in the storm. Ok that makes sense. If you charged them the $130 for one push I think thats ludicris but if its in several pushes, thats fine as you have alot more time and expenses in it that way.
    Good luck, and please send me some snow my way!
  8. sir spaniourd

here we have at least 2 more hours of heavy snow and after that strong winds until 8. I think I plowed over 35". a great deal of it was snow drifts.well, I am going to go close my eyes for a few hours before I head out. good luck with the snow.
  9. Luppy

Luppy Senior Member

sir spaniourd 130.00 is a pretty good chunk of change for what you've described.

I'm on the South Shore and I'm getting 75.00 per driveway from my regulars.
    Most of my regulars I've hit 3 times already, but some of them asked me to wait until tonight and they're still going to pay the 75.00 despite the fact that it's for one push..Also I have an ad in the paper which brings in the last minute can-you-plow-me-out-today crowd. For the last minute callers who have the bulk of the storm piled in their drive I'm getting 100.00 to push the whole thing at once. People will pay it. They don't want to shovel over 2 1/2 feet of snow which is what we have so far and it's still coming down.

Take care & plow safe
  10. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

If you're charging $30 for each time you push, then it wouldn't matter. You'd never push 20". Another way to set it up, which is what I do, would be so much for a particular amount regardless of how many times you push. Using your figures: You might set it up to charge $30 for anything up to 4"; then $45 for anything up to 8"; and $60 for anything up to 12"; finally $60 + $2 (for example) per inch over 12".

Just my opinion, but if it's $30 for 4", then charging $130 for 20" is kind of high. The only way I could see that is if the customer specified no more than 4" accumulation, then you'd be obligated to push five times and would charge $150. But apparently that's not the case as you said you pushed a total of three times, the first being 4". This leaves 16" between the second and cleanup push. So apparently you used your discretion of when to plow. The customer should not have to pay a premium in that case.

Whatever, it should have been agreed on prior to beginning service.
  11. Mick

from Maine

That doesn't make sense. If you're charging the same regardless of how much it's going to snow, then what are you charging "$10 for every 2" " for? Every 2" over what?
  12. sir spaniourd

let's say that there is 8'' of snow. The first time I show up to a property I'll charge $30. the initial amount of snow for the first time I push it will be approximately between 3" and 4". after that every additional 2" i will add $10 to the bill. Therefore the whole bill will be $50. $30 for the first 3-4" and because there are 4" left to be plowed and charging $10 for every increment of 2". I hope this will make sense.
    by the way, How was your day?
    i just finished and i got 5 new customers today!! :yow!:
  13. Mick

from Maine

Didn't get enough to plow - not even my own driveway.

1 1/2 - 2 inches. There was 4" predicted on Accuweather. Some customers were calling yesterday in a panic cause they'd heard 12" on TV. Then there was another 2-4" predicted for tonight that's been cancelled.

I didn't even start the truck today.

If I was your customer and had agreed to $30 for any amount, I'd insist on you waiting till it quit snowing. That was our agreement. I certaintly wouldn't pay for 4" push, then more on top of that. And, yes, I have a couple like that. I've agreed to push any amount of snow within any 24 hour period for one price. Small dumps I win, big dumps they win. It evens out.
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2005