1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

how much time would it take you to plow 4 lots?

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by rv4jesus, Nov 15, 2011.

1. rv4jesus

rv4jesus Member

I was looking at plowing 4 properties on a per push basis with a two inch trigger, figure it could be 2"-5".

Two small stores with two docks each about two acres combined, wide open;

a 2 acre commercial lot-- pretty easy with 4 docks

and an apartment complex (this is where I wasn't comfortable and my inexperience cost me) -- about two acres, 200 spaces, a row of cars on each side of three main lanes with a few smaller drives between them. Here I was supposed to clear the lanes in the morning and come back to push the snow to the curbs where cars had left, no back-dragging, leaving snow all around the cars was acceptable to the client.

How much time would it take you to plow it? Part of my problem was my truck was big for the job. I have a Ford long bed extended cab and may have needed a smaller rig or the ATV with 5' plow for cleanup. I don't know how long a lot with half of the cars in it might take someone with more experience.

It would take about an hour travel time for 35 miles round trip. Any help is appreciated.
  2. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

I plowed last year for my uncle doing a condo/apartment that was like that. It was a NIGHTMARE since everyone was trying to dig their own car out but none of them left at the same time and most didnt move for days until after the storm. I was in a 12' rackbody 550 and it was terrible. He has some kind of rule with them where he wont clear unless there is 3 consecutive spots so we can get the big trucks in easier with less chance of smashing cars.
  3. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

Are you saying all the properties equal 6 acres of plowing and require 35 miles (1 hour)of traveling between all of them combined? If so then at least 8.5-10 hours total each time. That apartment complex will be a killer if plowed in the morning or at night when everyone is moving about in the lot.Can be done but very good idea to have a helper / second truck. When it snows over 4 to 5" your time is going to increase as well. And if it is during rush hour your drive time will increase as well. Sometimes it takes 15 minutes just to go 3 miles.
  4. kevlars

kevlars Senior Member

Yeah, apartments can be a pain in the arse!

5. bln

bln Senior Member

I would sub the apartments out, but leave the midday claen-up to myself. You will save yourself a lot of time, hassle and stress. I tried doing too uch at once and it almost killed me.
  6. rv4jesus

rv4jesus Member

time to plow 4 lots

Yes, it is a total of about 6 acres with an hour travel time.

I figured it would take between 6 and 7 hours and the contractor was telling me it could be done in 4. He thought I wasn't experienced enough to do the job. I had reservations and questions and agreed with him because I wasn't comfortable with estimating the apartment complex.

With so many people out of work I'm sure there would be a lot of cars in the lot and the way we were to push the snow towards the walks and cars it sounded like a big mess. That and the fact that my longbed extended cab truck wasn't right for the job. I think my ATV would be better or if I had a small truck with a 6 or 7 foot blade maybe I would be able to do it.

The weird part is they didn't think I would have any time to do the couple of small commercial jobs I have close by. That makes me think I couldn't do it in 4 hours. The pay wasn't bad if you figured it at the going rate for subs at 6 hours. They would do the salting and get additional money for relocating piles. The way I estimated the job, if I sold it including the salting it would bill at about 3 times what they would pay me. I was very impressed with the company. I thought they were very knowledgeable and professional.

Thanks for helping me evaluate my estimate. If someone is interested in doing these jobs in the Skokie area I could you refer you to them by PM. As far as I know they are still available.
  7. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

PM sent to you
  8. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Can it be done? Yes. But time is your enemy in the snowplowing business. People only care about their little plot and no one else. And if something happens to your truck I hope you have a backup plan.