1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How much time could I shave off with a machine?

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by GimmeSnow!!, Oct 12, 2014.

1. GimmeSnow!!

GimmeSnow!! Senior Member

Yellow = Pavement = 5.25 Acres
    Blue = Sidewalks = 23000 Sq. Ft.
    Pink = piles
    Red = Can't push here
    Green = Scales and ramps
    Purple = They want a separate price because they may do this lot themselves

I would like to go with a skid steer with a push box because of the length of the runs and moving piles. When I visited the site the guy was wishy washy. First he says we would do the sidewalks around the plant, then changed it to them doing the sidewalks. Then he tells me he wants a separate price for the purple lot, then says don't worry about that lot we will do it. Then he says his guys will help us with their loader. Then he states that the previous company took advantage of their help and only did the bare minimum which is why they are taking it out to bid. Then he states that he would like it done before they get there in the morning (no help with the machines). Then he's telling me the other company did it in about 4 hours. I'm not used to doing large broken up lots or using machines on properties. I understand the idea behind 1 acre per truck hour and then add in a % or extra time for difficulty so I figured with the scales the long runs and all of the tight corners I figured about 7 truck hours. Am I off?? Also, how much time could you see being shaved off with a skid steer? We have a contract with the sister company to this plant so we do have an advantage based on our history and reliability. My fear is that one of the other companies bidding low-balls it based on him stating that they will help out and quoted truck hours. Any other things I could add to the contract to sweeten the sale or educate the client if we end up high besides our relationship with their sister company? Of course my contact has to submit it to the board so I have no way of directly speaking with the decision makers, therefore I would like to have some strong points placed in writing and explain them to my contact.
  2. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

All I have to say is be sure you make a lot of money. That looks like a nightmare.
  3. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

If the pink is the ONLY areas you can put snow, you'll never hit an acre an hour with just a front plow. More like 1/2 an acre an hour.

Truck with a v plow and wings, and back blade, and/or skid steer with Kage/SnoWing style plow is what that needs.

Truck alone, 8-9 hours. Truck with back blade, 6 hours. Truck and skid, 2.5 hours each. Skid alone, 6 hours.

5.25 acres of snow is a lot of snow to move into those small stacking areas.
  4. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

Hey John_Deere, when you figured out the hours for the equipment is that based on your experience with that equipment or is there a machine formula floating around here somewhere? Just curious.
  5. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Dam that is a long way to be carrying snow.
  6. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

Gut and experience.

I don't have any hands on Ebling experience, but have seen and talked to a few guys that run them and have for quite a while that I take their production rates seriously.

Most guys agree that a truck with 8 foot plow will do ~1 acre per hour, V plow with wings ~1.5, and a skid with an 10 foot box will do ~1.5-2 an hour in reasonably open lots. This is where experience comes into play and the only way to get that is to screw up and get it wrong and under or over estimate sometimes.
  7. GimmeSnow!!

GimmeSnow!! Senior Member

Thanks for the help. I figured an extra hour for the entrance area and an extra hour for the back on the east side but I figured since the north and south side were just runs they wouldnt be too bad. But I could see them being worse than I originally thought since there is a fence on one side and the building on the other. Also the southeast corner looks like it will be interesting since we're going to carry the snow around a corner and then take it a decent stretch no matter which way we go.