1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How much time can a V-plow save.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Blink74, Nov 22, 2008.

1. Blink74

Blink74 Member

Hey guys. All of my accounts are per push so the faster we get done the better. The Boss website says a V plow can cut 30% of time. Is this accurate and is it worth the extra money. Also, is it easy to use. Any drawbacks to a V-plow.
  2. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I plow diveways and went from a 7 1/2 fisher strait blade to a Boss 7 1/2 V It saves time NOT 30% maybe 10 to 15%. But it alows me to do a better job.
  3. salopez

salopez Senior Member

It all depends on what kind of accounts you have.

10-30 sounds about right....
  4. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

5. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo Senior Member

Why is a V plow faster on a driveway>? I'd buy a Jeep b4 anything else.
  6. bigearl

bigearl Senior Member

Ive plow an account for 3 yrs with a straight blade and it took 1hr and 20 min. I bought a V this year 1hr. I will have to say I dont know how I plowed with a straight blade. But then I only used it twice so far. Hope this helps
  7. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

So did you plow it in a hour Earl?
  8. bigearl

bigearl Senior Member

yes 1 hr jd sorry little tired this ampayup
  9. sealer700

sealer700 Junior Member

V plows are the only way to go IMO The versatility of plowing in any combinaton is what does it for me. On only small drives their will not be much difference but when you do anything of any size, cleanup will be way faster unless you have wings or equilivent. Again just IMO
  10. Cassy

Cassy Senior Member

From what i've seen, it save you time tracking down all the windrows and trails that a plow leaves. and the v-action of the blade allows you to send more snow down to the end, rather than having it pile up on the sides of the drive.
  11. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

I have v's on every truck of mine. I'll never buy another straight blade again.
  12. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Last yr.when my truck went down I used a truck with a straight blade and I couldn't even remember how to plow with it. I even picked up more accounts because I can get done faster with a v plow.
  13. mnconst

mnconst Member
    from indiana

I bought a wide-out last year and now I traded my v plows for wide-outs
  14. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

why is that?
  15. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

The power plows and the cousins will move alot more snow them the v in scoop. the only places I would want a V would be drifted drive/roads and maybe bank drive thrus
  16. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

It is tough to explain but you spend less time chasing snow that spills out the side. If your running up the side of a drive put it in scoop and no snow spills out the side.

It also leaves a cleaner edge on the driveway.

when pushing back corners the plow is in the shape of the corner "V" instead of a strait line trying to push a corner.

And it CAN STACK SNOW.
  17. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I went from a 7 1/2 ft straight blade with wings to a Fisher V, and it definetley saved me time. I think it all depends what property's you plow. Average driveways....maybe not so much, larger parking lots...not so much. But for the medium sized lots we do they are great! They work great in both of our condo complexes where there is several driveways and long pushes to where we pile all the snow. One big advantage I think isthe ability to punch through heavy piles of snow and ice the city plows leave in front of entrances. Ive had to do this several times where a straight blade would have some trouble getting through.
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2008
  18. F250 Boss v

F250 Boss v Senior Member

I plow my own property, we have a VERY long driveway. At first the V really does not save me that much time vs. my old straight blade, but as the season goes on, and the windrows get higher you can sure bet it saves me alot of time. Also I have come home after some storms to a foot or more in the drive, what a pain to do that with a straight blade, the V, handles that so much better. For my needs (long driveway), I'll always have a V.
  19. heather lawn spray

heather lawn spray PlowSite.com Addict

The greatest advantage of the V over straight is the ability to move volumes of snow quicker. We've ended up with many alley-way projects where the snow has to be pumped to the far end of the alley. The V carries move snow per pass
  20. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Example.....I do a commercial lot and with a straight blade it took me 1.5 hours. With my V it takes 45 mins. Enough said.