1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How Much Space to pile?

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by dix, Aug 17, 2010.

1. dix

dix Junior Member

I have a long winding driveway about 250 feet. I have room to push the snow at both ends and some in the middle. I realize this is difficult to say with certainty but how much space will I need to pile the snow. We get probably 3-4 feet of straight fall snow per year. This is the first winter in this house so I dont know about drifting yet.

Any advice?

2. dodge15004x45.9

dodge15004x45.9 Senior Member
    from malvern

Go back as far as you can.

3. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

At the very least I would wait till the ground is frozen, raise the plow about 3 to 4 inches off the ground and push at least 1 blade width on each side of the drive. If you leave your plow a few inches it will still leave a defined driveway, but it will leave plenty of room for snow late in the season.

4. dix

dix Junior Member

This is excellent advice. Very insightfull, thanks for sharing.

5. dix

dix Junior Member

Ill try that, I dont have a full blade width on either side of the drive as it is tree lined, but I should be able to get about half a blade for sure.

6. Clint S

Clint S Senior Member

I will second this. Until you live there a few years and know what to expect go back as far as you can. I live in upstate NY where we average over 200 inches a winter and I have had years where I have had piles 5 to 6 foot high after settling and 50 plus feet long on a 175 foot drive. It all depends how much and how fast and how good you are at stacking. Unless you have a tractor to stack and move snow ,go as far back and as wide as possible, better to have too much room than hire a tractor to push back your banks 1/2 way through the winter