1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How much space does lets say 50 ton of salt take up?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by kruser6, Aug 9, 2009.

1. kruser6

kruser6 Member
    from Iowa

Looking to build an area for 50 ton. I have a 35 foot by 10 foot concrete pad that I ripped down an old garage from a year ago. I would like to build some walls on it and build a tarp system. How big of an area would I need for that?

2. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

If you added another 10 ft to the width of the pad you should be okay.

3. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

That is plenty big enough for 50 tons.

Easy math, 50 tons is close to 50 cubic yards. 50 cubic yards is 1350 cubic feet.
    You have 350 sq.' so divide 1350 by 350=3.857' high if you fill every inch. So make the walls 6' high or more and the middle 10' high with the roof and you are good.

My shed is 36X30 and we can get 200 tons in without being too close to the front.

4. kruser6

kruser6 Member
    from Iowa

Thank you very much for the information. That was the most straight forward answer I have received!

5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Kruser, what do you have for a loader/tractor?

6. kruser6

kruser6 Member
    from Iowa

Working on it. I am new to the business, but everyone has to start somewhere. I don't have anything yet at this point.

7. avalanche559

avalanche559 Junior Member
    from Midwest

8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I would suggest a skidsteer. Super maneuverable, and they generally lift much more than an a farm/utility tractor of similar horsepower.

9. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Ditto on skidsteer comment!

10. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

You can jamb 50 ton in a shipping container.

As far as a loader I would suggest anything that is DEPENDABLE !
    A pos skid loader is useless at 2 am :D