1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How much snow...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by nicksb2, Mar 4, 2003.

Should I plow with a 2WD?

1. Yes

3 vote(s)
  2. No

15 vote(s)
  3. Maybe

9 vote(s)
  4. What are you CRAZY!!!???

27 vote(s)
  1. nicksb2

nicksb2 Junior Member

How much snow could I possibly plow with a 2WD Ford Bronco II - it has a 5-speed manual and mud-terrains. I have a snowbear plow. I figure Ill have to stick with flat terrain - no hills!!!:drinkup:
  2. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

If it was a 4x4 i would say plow ith it but to small and light to push some good snow not commercially any ways.
  3. wyldman

wyldman Member

You should be good for up to 24 inches at least.If you get more than that,plow at every 24 inches so you won't overload that beast. ;)

Seriously,it might not do too bad.I have seen a local Chev Astro van (2WD) plowing with a Snobear or something similar,and he has been fine doing his little lot all season.

Put some weight in the back,and you should do OK,just for personal use.
  4. phillyplowking1

phillyplowking1 Senior Member

i dont think i would drive that truck in the snow at all plow or no plow.Whats a snobear plow?
  5. Rob

Rob PlowSite.com Veteran

I would not even think about using that for commercial accounts. If you caught a curb or a manhole, I think it would tear that plow and / or front end apart. For a personal drive or two, maybe. I don't think that it would handle much more than say 6 inches, but I have never seen anyone use a snowbear. (I have seen them in the Warehouse stores, but never on a vehicle). In all seriousness, I think you would be better off with a good snowblower.

Just my 2¢
  6. J&JProperty

J&JProperty Member

Has any one seen the new commercial SnoBear on Ebay? Its supposed to be heavier duty. On that note, with the rash of snow we have had in Ohio this year -44.2 inches in the Dayton area ( thats alot for us) I have seen different vehicle combinations with SnoBear plows, S-10's , F-150's, Jeeps, etc. I just find it funny that these guys have no real concept of snow removal. I think I might sell my Boss and Western plows and go buy me several SnoBear commercial plows.
  7. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

Snow Bear :rolleyes:

8. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

You can't think simply in terms of measured inches. A great deal depends on what kind of snow it is. 6" of the lightest and fluffiest snow will push a whole lot easier than 2" of snow that's like wet concrete. It also makes a difference whether it's been tracked down before you try to plow it. 2wd might be able to push a blade full of snow if the driving wheels are on relativey bare pavement, but if there's a packed layer you'll just sit and spin and spin and spin...

So, in answer to your question, yeah, you can plow with a 2wd, just not every time it snows.
  9. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

digger242j is absolutely right. Among the worst I've pushed was this past weekend - less than 2" of the wettest, heaviest crap you ever saw. I was pushing a road and switched from pushing off to the left to the right. As it swung to straight, it bogged down the truck and I couldn't get it to push either way. Finally drove up and over it to come at it from the other way - finally got it pushed off. It was a drive I'd done before and a move I'd made many times. Just did it without thinking, I guess. As far as whether to use a 2wd - I wouldn't. But if you determined, get a set of chains and some ballast. Even then, I wouldn't try more than 2" - 3". This issue has been debated several times - some threads were funnier than others.
  10. jakegypsum

jakegypsum Senior Member

Good luck. Unless the conditions are right, it will be a rough row to hoe. The primary thing you will need is ballast weight in the rear of the vehicle. (previously mentioned). The key is that you will need a Lot!
    One of the trucks that I used years ago was an 83' ford two wheel drive F-100. It was a last minute rig that we set up during a heavy snow storm. The key for this rig to work was to have it loaded with weight in the bed behind the rear axel. She was a low rider but it handeled the snow very well for what it was worth. We also had heavy lug-tread firestone snow tires on the rear drive axel.
    The key is weight though. If you can get something very heavy in the back over the rear axel, then you may be able to pull it off.
    Good luck. Jake.
  11. SCSIndust

SCSIndust Senior Member

My plow truck is a 2wd '85 f350 diesel crew cab, dually. I can plow just about anything. The big snow storm hindered me quite a bit(24 inches, DC area). Other than that I haven't gotten stuck at all this season, considering how much snow we have had... It is really how you drive too. For example, if I gun it everytime I take off, of course I will be useless. So, I start off very slow for ten feet, get traction and punch it. I have about 2000 lbs in the rear with a 8' plow, and I have so much a$$, I am pretty much unstoppable. Don't get me wrong, this isn't my only truck... we run two others... 4wd.
  12. phillyplowking1

phillyplowking1 Senior Member

Yea but thats a f-350 > nicksb2 talkin about putting a plow ona 2wd bronco2
  13. SCSIndust

SCSIndust Senior Member

OH! I thought it was a general discussion on 2wd... a 2wd Bronco II:nono: I really don't think it will work too well... our 4wd full size bronco didn't even have enough a$$ to justify us keeping it for next year. That is of course trying to pack snow or even plowing anything over, say, 8". Just my two cents.
  14. nicksb2

nicksb2 Junior Member

This year's snow storm caught me by surprise - I still had my P275/60TR15's on all fours, and if anyone is familiar with Philly, and more specifically Roxborough/Manayunk, those hills are killers - anyway, there was 19-20" of powder snow on the ground, and there was this 4X4 in front of me spinning all four - I just put it in 1st underdrive and pulled around him! On the way past I messed with him by saying "Jeeps are for delivering mail, not 4X4ing! - I'm in 2WD!"

Now I got the P235/75SR15 BFG M/T's and they work reall good with a full gas tank (23 Gal.).
  15. jakegypsum

jakegypsum Senior Member

Nick, I was up that way early last month. That was one of the 1st things I thought about when traveling through. Driving up & down some of those hills on ice or snow could be a real trip. Trucks are one thing but how bout' two wheel (rear) drive cars. Forget it. Lol. Jake.
  16. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Ditch the plow and hire Digger!!:drinkup:

I've seen those Snow Bears in 3 different places:

On the shelf at Sam's Club
    On the floor at Home Depot
    And stuck in a snowbank not too far from here. It looked like it fell off the host truck and the owner just left it behind!:eek:

By the way, Welcome to Plowsite!!:drinkup:
  17. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

Darn Pelican You shoulda picked that moldboard up i coulda put it in the snow plower hall of shame.

18. OffRoadPlow

OffRoadPlow Senior Member

2WD, can be done but take the advice the others gave. I would go 4X4 if you can or have a way to. I would not trade the 4X4 for anything when plowing with a real plow, the assistance can not be met when your in some situations. I do Have a snow bear-wolf or whatever it is, in addition to a real plow, for the backwoods or gravel drives so I would not have to abuse my other plow in those conditions, and as a quick backup if needed. The others have it right, you do not want to use one for continuous plowing of regular accounts, trust me, not worth it at all, I had to use it before when parts were not readily available, not fun, and took twice as long to get the job done... They not made for much more than your own drive.
  19. SnowLane

SnowLane Senior Member

Save your money!!! The 2wd Bronco will be wothless trying to plow snow you will be better off with a snow blower.
  20. drobson

drobson Senior Member

I agree with most of the others, unless you are doing just your own drive and get out there several times in wet snow, you'd be better off with a snowblower.