1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

how much snow so far?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ultimate lawns, Jan 9, 2003.

1. ultimate lawns

ultimate lawns Member

How much snow have you guys had this year? Here in the chicago suburbs, well, and north chicago, We have probably only had 8 inches total of snow! Tell me guys, Is that unusual? Ask me,
    I think it's sick! Im tired of the snow going either north or south of us. And i know this doesnt have anything to do with this though, but, any body watch the dallas stars or chicago blackhawks game? 3rd period, its 3 to 3, 16 seconds left, and the stars score to wrape it up to 3-4. Date (1-9-03)
    Thanks guys,

Ultimate lawns and more,
  2. Chief Plow

Chief Plow Senior Member

So far this year we are at 72". Usually around here at this time we are around ( I believe ) 35" or so. I wish I could spread some of this around to you guys that need it. Im tired of plowing, and loading then hauling... Can't really complain though. It makes up for all the lean years.
    Good luck

3. greenquestlawn

greenquestlawn Senior Member

I am not sure right now but I think we are a whopping 9" over 35" below normal.
  4. Acorn

Acorn Senior Member

Over 50" for sure so far
  5. Grshppr

Grshppr Senior Member

Okanagan Valley, British Columbia, a grand total of 4" has fallen, but currently we have nothing on the ground, and it is 40-50 degrees out during the day. We should have at least 12-18" on the ground and be much colder. Oh well whattcha gonna do.:rolleyes:
  6. Jay ALC

Jay ALC Senior Member

A trace! :(

I think we're just under 20" in Fort Wayne, IN. Our yearly average is right around 35" so I believe we are actually ahead of the game a litttle. The whole Lower Great Lakes Region is supposed to have a mild winter because of El Nino according to most all of the long range forcasts I have seen,and according to many threads I've read recently it seems to be true. I think the two "big" storms we got here were just luck. Last year was my first for snow removal and only got to do it two nights-in mid March. I definitly think the weather has been "weird" the past few years. Hope it takes a turn for the worse (thats better for us snow plowers).
  8. Pickering snow removal

Pickering snow removal Senior Member

low snow totals

Here in mid mich we have had maybe 6in total we are way off the mark has i set here typing this looking at a row of superdutys crying to go to work i offer this to my fellow plowers 1 i dont belive in all of this weather pattern crap 2 what i do belive is that god has taken care of my plow buss for the last 15yrs when i start feeling blue and broke i dont look to a weather model to tell me iam screwed for the season, all this said guys its 10 days into jan we still have alot of winter left , iam not trying to preach here but to offer some upbeat addtiude, things can change in a heart beat all of us in mich know the big lakes are snow machines when the winds blow right the guys over on the west side of the state are getting the lake effect right know i just pray the wind blows a little harder for this tricity area take care all

regards fred
  9. OffRoadPlow

OffRoadPlow Senior Member

Around 10" to 16" total, and I am only about an hour west of Fred. But thats Michigan, You can drive for 5 minutes and be in a diffrent Season... Lake effect is only supposed to bring 1-2 today and tonight, Darn, so much for not listening to the weatherman... :D
  10. bgrover

bgrover Member

If memory serves me correct on or just after new years the weatherman said we had 30" since then we've gotten about 6" more.

So I would say 36" or 12" more than all of last year.
  11. SDlawndawg

SDlawndawg Senior Member

About the same here 10" - 16". 1" of lake effect last night. All weather reports were way,way off. I don't understand the weather anymore. The winters just aren't the same as they were. It's affecting many businessesin this area that depend on tourism from snowmobiling, skiing etc.
  12. ceaman

ceaman Senior Member

Im about 60 miles south of simones. We too have had 20" of snow which puts us over our yearly average of 18".
  13. OffRoadPlow

SD, I've got it, I figure if you are with me and we could get a few others we could drive upto Boyne and barrow their snowmaker ... make enough snow for our routes and we would be all set. Just a thought. I hear you about only getting an inch, but look at it this way, I saw a dozen flakes on the way home last night, most of them snow, and that was it for the day. So at least you got some... :D
  14. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

We have had about 47-49" here already,which puts us way over our average of 40" a yr.We seem to get it 17" at a time or 1-2" at a time.Im not complaining but 4-6" storms are my favorites.
  15. PLOWMAN21157

PLOWMAN21157 Junior Member

Central Md-- about 12.5" Am I the only guy from Maryland on here?????????
  16. long0

long0 Senior Member

There was an article in the local paper about this subject this week. We are at 90% of average, or 92". Some other areas around the state are a little higher, others a little lower. Steamboat is about 3 hours north of me and they are listed at 147% of average. If I remember right, that is around 120".

As long as the high mountains get lots of snow, that will make me happy. Last year, the rivers were hardly flowing, so the more snow in the high mountains the better.

17. Hawkz

Hawkz Member

Not even a trace here, a balmy 22 degrees right now though. I think time is running out to make a profit this winter season. Will have to be a trooper through the spring, summer, and fall, waiting for next season. That is strange- already looking towards next season- maybe I can add to the discussions a little more next season. Oh well, hope you guys are making a profit!! Bring on the snow, Hawkz

PINEISLAND1 PlowSite.com Veteran

about 28 inches here in West Mi. We are about 6 inches below normal as of now, but that can sure change fast here with this lake effect.
  19. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

38 inches here so far. i know how you feel though. i was kicking myself last year when we got like a whopping 10 inches for the whole season.
  20. OffRoadPlow

Nothing is sticking here. We got almost 1", but you can only see it on the grass... Wet, too warm yesterday... Guess I could work on something else for the weekend... Good luck to all. Hope that Lake Effect makes it mind up in my favor.