1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How much snow is Too much to plow with a '00 TJ?

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by info4tim, May 21, 2014.

1. info4tim

info4tim Senior Member

Hey, plow commercially (small devs. park lots) with Meyer TM 6.5' plow on my TJ. What do you think is the max amount of snow I should try and tackle with it? Thanx.

Last edited: May 21, 2014
  2. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Plow with the storm and it's a non issue

3. info4tim

info4tim Senior Member

Yeah am aware of this. My question was really about the following scenario. Scenario: Am asked to do a dev street after several hrs of snowing, say 5" already on the road. Do I: 1) lift blade, do ~2" then make another pass with blade on the ground? 2) Decline the "offer" entirely? So, how many inches would just be too much in one pass? Any ideas? Thanx much.

4. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

I use heavier trucks than a jeep so no experience there. But mine will push 5 if it's not wet and heavy.

You have to be careful when raising the blade that the snow doesn't cause the blade to rise up farther and you get stuck. Had that happen 4 times on one drive way wih 18 inches lol

Usually once you get a lane open it's cake. Just take a half of blade full at a time once it's opened

5. DeggyD

DeggyD Junior Member

05 TJ 4.0 auto, Snoway 22 6'8". I plow my building's lot, 24 space rectangle with a slope at the end to put the snow. I plowed 8" one time. It was doable, but if I had to do it again, I would have done it once during the storm, and once after. 5" is no biggie. If its wet n heavy, it might be a different story though. Like Whiffy said, get one lane open then take it slow from there.

I also plowed 18" of snow with a 93 chevy 2500. Got stuck lots for the same reason of riding up then sinking in, especially because the temps dropped, so the bottom was wet/packed and the top was fluffy.

6. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Try it if you cant push it the its to much snow

Realy cant answer a question like that I can posh 18" of fluff and have a hard time with 6" of wet snow (can still push it but the jeep dont Like it.

7. info4tim

info4tim Senior Member

Thanx PM, for the response. I too seem to handle same amt of snow as you. However, when attempting to push 5-7" of the slop, Jeep (00 TJ 4.0L auto, 3.25" coil lift, Meyer 6.8" plow, 320# salt in far rear) seems to really be groaning (engine - sometimes smell oil!). This can't be good for it? Whaddya' think about raising blade an inch or 2, plowing that, then coming back for final? Others mentioned just take small bites. This is fine, except when you're plowing a small dev. and they have you go to another area (guys didn't show up :mad:) 'n plow their streets now. Of course, it's now got 5"-ish of frozen/wet slop - nowhere to take a small bite! Suggestions? Thanx much. -Tim

8. sota

sota Senior Member
    from NJ

are you putting the t-case in LO? I plowed 5" of medium weight snow the last time in 2HI/4HI the whole time. When I went back recently and tried to scrape off as much of the ice as I could I used 4LO.

9. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

There is a guy around here that plows with one. He mush do 50 driveways with plus a couple of parking lots. Small and quick.He's never had a problem,

10. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

i just plowed 34+ inches with my jeep

11. 3bladz

3bladz Senior Member

Nice. I wanna see some pictures!

12. magik235

magik235 Senior Member

Here is my 1971 CJ5 plowing 15" of snow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. info4tim

info4tim Senior Member

TE=theplowmeister;1960746]i just plowed 34+ inches with my jeep ��[/QUOTE]

Pix? You certainly didnt push all at once? How'd you do it? Lo, raised blade, etc?

14. Pauliewog

Pauliewog Junior Member
    from MA

3ft +

I have 120 drives, a jeep and a ranger. They will push through 3ft, just not far.
    Better to work the storm if weather permits. The first blizzard on the 27th was
    too intense to drive in,couldn't see anything. We ended up going into rte untouched the next morning. 3ft of snow plus drifts. WOW-lotta snow! Shave in the end, then point & shoot. Got them done,but would have been same amount of time to run it twice with half the snow vs once with ALL the snow. Easier on the trucks too. Just couldn't make it happen on that one.

15. info4tim

info4tim Senior Member

OK were you plowing in low n wasn't engine really screaming? Can't be good for it. What'd you mean bout shaving n point n shooting? Couldn't you just raise plow few inches plow that n repeat till done?

16. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

It's going to be hard to get traction if you aren't scraping all the way down. Last year I did 18" with my ranger in low range. The hardest pass was the first going in and after that you can take small bites. I would put it in low, put in first and then it's pedal to the medal till you get to the pile. She did well, wish I never sold it

17. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i go out every 8 inches or so i mean there getting charged per time i show up so big storm i will be there 2 or 3 times

18. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

Hey, somebody finally actually said it!
    It always bothers me when guys talk their mouths off about putting the blade half way down and plowing the top half of the snow before the bottom half. It simply doesn't work like that... or at least it is way harder to do like that than to scrap it all the way down where it will give you actual traction.

19. info4tim

info4tim Senior Member

So don't even try to be easier on your truck n with say 12+ of unplowed road, just "pedal to metal"!? With the engine screaming, smelling burnt oil, groaning etc? Not in my truck I'd say. Less is always more. I know I know...plow with storm blah blah...but what if you can't?

20. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

What are you on about?