1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How MUCH snow in the road is considered "dumping" snow into a roadway?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Ramairfreak98ss, Oct 24, 2015.

1. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

I know its illegal in most states, as their statues vary, to either

a. Deposit snow into a street
    b. Dumping of snow from private property into a street
    or C. plowing from one property to the other "across a street.

In NJ, they have an actual "anti snow dumping act"
    S-1924 prohibits commercial snowplow operators, or the operators of any other snow removal equipment clearing snow on private property, from depositing any snow on any public road, street, or highway in this State or on public lands. A commercial operator who violates the law shall be subject to a $250 fine for the first offense and $500 for each subsequent offense.

or

39:4-77.3. "Anti-Snow Dumping Act"; violations, penalties.

1. a. This act shall be known and may be cited as the "Anti-Snow Dumping Act."

b. The commercial operator of any snowplow, or other snow removal equipment, clearing accumulated snow on private property shall not deposit, or cause to be deposited, such snow on any public road, street, or highway in this State or on public lands. A commercial operator of any snowplow or other snow removal equipment who fails to comply with the provisions of this section shall be liable to a fine of $250 for the first offense, and for each subsequent offense, a fine of $500.

So my question is, if you plow your driveway out, or are plowing residential driveways, and "leave" any snow behind even in inch into the "roadway" , have you received a ticket for it, or how do the cops in your city view this?

For the commercial guys who plow "across streets", when you plow across a street from one property to the next, and leave a trail of snow off the edge of the plow but NOT "a full windrow of snow", is that dumping or plowing snow into a roadway?

For the commercial guys who PLOW ROADWAYS, how could they ever ticket you for "dumping" snow into the road when you plow the roads? Wherever you lift the plow or turn the truck, "some" snow by nature, comes off the edge of the plow, maybe 2", maybe 5", maybe more. The law , at least in NJ, seems SO entirely vague that one can only leave it up to the uneducated prosecutors and judges to decipher how it is to be interpreted. Keeping in mind, if an officer doesn't see you "plow the snow" and only sees the aftermath of this small trail of snow, tire tracks etc.. its up to their experience as "an expert witness" being an officer of the law, stacked up against you, the owner and plow driver of a commercial snow removal business, in a court of law, the judge/jury would have to trust your expert opinion over top of that of just a police officer, who is NOT an expert at anything snow removal related.

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

It's basicaly the same everywhere.

The uniform traffic act....

They don't evan want you to drop your plow off of private property.

City, state plow guys or the subs they hire are diffrent.,
    There not commercial . Their special.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2015
  3. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Really, I don't understand, does common sense rank high in NJ?

4. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

It seems not...That's why insurance rates are so High..

5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

And they are not capable of even pumping their own gas.

6. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

As with most things its up to the circumstances and the police officers involved. Personally I've pushed snow out into the street but then I clean it up and redeposit it back onto the property I pulled it from. I make sure that the street is clean when I'm done so that if somebody should complain when the police to show they will see that the road is clear. I find it hard to believe that a police officer will give you a ticket for this if you cleaned up after yourself., considering there are so many knuckleheads out there not being ticketed for doing exactly just wbhat the law prohibits. It takes someone to complain for tickets to be issued...

Usually..:bday:

7. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Real professionals put the snow in the street so the street plow pushes it back into the driveway.

8. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

Thats job security.

9. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

What if your snow pile is in the road and a ambulance can't get by.
    Or a car of kids crashes into it.

It' s Kind of like parking a truck in the street.......?

10. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Why didn't someone tell me this earlier ?
    It sure would have saved a lot of pixels

11. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

In NH, at least the middle and northern parts, nobody gives a sweet crap. It's war, fer chrissakes.
    Don't leave 12" or better piles, and nobody will say a word. Heck, I seen women putting on eye liner going sideways at 50 mph all while busting through the end of their driveways after a big storm. Nobody cares.

12. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

I'd love me some women like that

13. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

How long is it in the street ? Seconds, or a 1/3rd of a minute while I position it back onto the property storage area I'm piling snow ??

I guess it's ..............................possible, in theory....

Well, they'd have to be in one heck of a hurry and timing would be critical for there to be any interference with what I'm doing :eek::rolleyes:

14. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

Oh...

I always pump my own fuel.....as the monkeys spill it otherwise on my ride...:sleeping:

15. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

That's what that truck driver thought too, just for a sec...
    who won't see the big truck parked in the street in broad day light?

In that post you put up in the off topic, and you frowned on his actions...whats the diff?
    Both of you are obstructing traffic with a hazard.

no snow in the road, means no snow in the road.

pot or kettle their both black.

16. Rick547

Rick547 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Well it looks like I'm in violation. On some short drives I put snow at the end of the driveway. Then I clear it out and move it back on the property. Now I don't let it pile up. I move it as needed. Not much else to do.

17. CowboysLC_DE

CowboysLC_DE Senior Member

Isn't it still illegal to pump your own gas in NJ?

And think about any possible lawsuits before you guys talk about leaving snow in the roadway. This is a public forum and a good lawyer would be able to find it, even if you're joking.

Best rule of thumb is that all snow is suppose to be pushed inwards. In Delaware it is also illegal to push across a public road but is common in certain areas to still do so.

Michael

18. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

I guess you're still working your pathway as devils assvocate...

Continue on, my friend...Thumbs Up

19. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

Don't worry, Rick. The snow police are not in your area during the winter. They're too busy dissecting posts of people on web forums sharing ideas about snow plowing to catch up with what you are doing.:rolleyes: