1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How much $ should one expect?

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by te snow, Jan 22, 2009.

1. te snow

te snow Member

This is my 4th year plowing now and I was looking for input on what I should expect to make per hour. I have my own truck, pay for my fuel, pay for service on my truck and plow. I currently make $60/hour, and salt for him using his salt spreader and salt at the same pay. I am a very dependable driver of his and do have a full time job. He depends on me as far as being the only one called out with him when there is cleanup to be done (.5" or so). I feel that I am fast and efficiant (no trails) and have been told so by other drivers I work with. No I'm not bragging just trying to give as much input as possible.:) I personally do commercial lots for him (Example: jiffy lube, a theater, coulpe of restaurants, and other lots).
    Thank You in advance for your input
  2. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

A good worker is worthy of his wages. Of course some people will only pay so much for a good worker or even a bad worker.
    There are other variables that you don't mention like how many hours he gives you,timeliness of being paid,how far you travel to plow these lots etc...
    I personally think 60 is to little for plowing, however if he is paying you 60/hr to salt using his salter that seems like good pay. At the end of the season sit down with him and review the season and how you did. If you made an agreement with him for this year then keep your word and talk about next year at the end of the season.
  3. te snow

te snow Member

I currently have 100 + some hours accumulated, get paid at the end of the season at my will (April), never have a problem getting paid, and live about 10 minutes away from the bulk of his accounts. It was said that we have had 33" of measurable snow here so far at the begining of this month. At one inch of snow fall we put in about 3 hours per person at 3people plowing not including his truck which would be 4 people. I'm the guy he goes to to get other jobs done when someone else on his crew is out of town. These places are about 20 minutes away one way.
  4. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

For Chicago, it sounds a little low. That being said, if you have an agreement in place, stick to it. As soon as your agreement time frame has expired, then have a talk with him. Let him know that your looking into your own accounts, or that you just can't keep going at these rates. From what I have read in other posts on here, I would think in your area, that you should be closer to 75 or 80 an hour. The key to the whole thing is your plowing, at an agreed rate, and untill you questioned it here, you were happy with that. If that rate pays for everything, and he's not willing to pay more then you have to decide if you want to continue with him, or look elsewhere.
  5. te snow

te snow Member

I am happy with my boss because he's the one that gave me the chance (plowing). I have been looking into this since the middle of last season and have no thoughts of dropping out in the middle of a season. The guy that showed me how to plow was a co-worker of mine at my full time job. My boss would call him his partner but he had nothing to do with the contracts and all the other business end of it. I don't know if the boss did the same thing with my friend but when he's at work for the city plowing during snow storms he puts me in charge. I will call around and see what has been done and tell them where to go next, no big deal but thats alot of responsibility. I could make or break his company, and I have all intentions of making sure the job gets done. Pay scale: $45/hour 1st year no experience, 2nd year $50 or $55/hour don't recall, 3rd year $60/hour, and 4th year $60/hour. I get a 1099 every year meaning i get taxed on the bottom line for those of you out of illinois. I took on an account this year and did the math, I average $62.50 for the 15 minutes it take me to plow the lot. By getting enough input I can make the decsion to stay with him or go on my own.