1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

how much should i pay my drivers

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by snowguychicago, Oct 9, 2005.

1. snowguychicago

snowguychicago Junior Member

hey guys this is my 2 year plowing i'am in chicago il and started my plow busines last year and i'am doing ok nothing to big yet trying to get some big lots but any way i was wounding how much i should pay a drive use his own truck or should i buy a truck and then pay a driver i do have my old truck from last year but i need to put about $1000 bucks in to it to work so if any one can help me out please do

the snow guy
  2. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

i dont know if im low or high but i pay a year round employee $16/hour
  3. snowguychicago

snowguychicago Junior Member

is that his truck or your truck
  4. PlowKid150

PlowKid150 Senior Member

if its his truck and he is gettin 16 bucks an hour i would take the time to fly out to your area, and smack the dude over the head for being a morrrrrron.

people around here get anywhere from 60-95 bucks an hour to sub out using their own equipment
  5. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

I have a guy that is going to tend to my lots when I cannot get there. I'm giving him $95/hr using his truck.

I'd say save your other truck as a backup for yourself. You don't need to be paying someone to beat the crap out of your equipment.
  6. CamLand

CamLand Senior Member

i'm charging a guy in the area to use my truck and clearing his lots 100.00 per hour.Way the gas prices are you have to pay to get anybody to work...
  7. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

oops its one of my trucks hes driving for 16/hour

TRUE TURF LAWN Senior Member

i pay $65.00 per hour.
  9. tjlands

tjlands Senior Member

Driving my Trucks $25-$45 depending on how long they have worked for me.
    If I hire someone with his own truck they get $75-100 hour.
  10. pay rate

So if you pay your drivers up to $ 45.00 per hour. What do you charge for your truck per hour??
  11. tjlands

tjlands Senior Member

My hourly rate for a truck and a driver is 125.00.
    But most of my contracts are per inch. We have always done better
    with per inch or per push contracts. You just have to know how much time it will take to service an account. When you charge per truck hour you get penalized for having good operators and top of the line equipment.
  12. cornbinder

cornbinder Senior Member

holy crap!!!i can get subs in my area for $30 to $40 per hr. around here and that is using their own truck! i guess we live a sheltered life here in wayne county.
  13. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I'm moving!:nod: , guys around here (nwpa) are getting anywhere from $25.00-$35.00 per hour with thier own trucks,gas etc. I just turned down a guy who was paying $35.00/hr but his route for me was 70%residential and 30%commercial. I went with a bigger company for $30.00 who does 100%commercial. I figured the guy at $35/hr, his route would be done in a few hours and the guy at $30/hr, his route would give me at least a full nights plowing.
  14. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

I have a buddy here in Dayton that just signed a $95/hour sub agreement.
  15. tjlands

tjlands Senior Member

$30 an hour with your truck, Your plow, your maintenance, you are kidding right?
    Blow one Hydro cylinder and pump and your profit is gone for the winter.
    Blow out a tire on debris you cant see under snow and you work 4 hours for free.
  16. SnowProGRES

SnowProGRES Member

haha, you might wanna lay off or poor brian... thirty five bucks and hour is pretty much the going rate for a sub w/straight blade in Buffalo as well. :cool:
  17. Scottish Lscape

Scottish Lscape Member

My truck they get $30/hr in truck only, $40/hr if they shovel as well as plow
    Sub's get $% rate of job. This is set up in August/September.
  18. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

your truck, 8ft plow, $30 to $35 hr and there is a list of hopefull plowers.
    It's a plow rich environment around here as every one and there brother in law has one.
  19. tjlands

tjlands Senior Member

You guys should come down and winter over in NJ.
    35 hr just doesnt seem fair. But I guess in buffallo NY you are plowing every
  20. scotty2222

scotty2222 Member
    from MI

My truck they get $30/hr in truck only, $40/hr if they shovel as well as plow
    Sub's get $% rate of job. This is set up in August/September