1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How Much should i pay for a 1975 Dodge Ram

Discussion in 'Used Plowing and Truck Equipment Forum' started by S-10 Plower, Dec 16, 2003.

1. S-10 Plower

S-10 Plower Senior Member

I am thinking about purchasing a 1975 Dadge Ram Pwer Wagon Pickup, I think it is a D-200. It is 4x4 auto it has a 8' meyer plow with some sort of rubber wings on it, Also has a 575 or 1075 snow ex salt spreder with swing away mount not sure witch model it is. it is in need of some body work but it is a 1975 it is older then me. the Guy selling it wants $3,300 obo.
    Help!!!!! I need to know what it is worth and what i should spend on it. It has either 75,000 or 175,000 miles on it not sure odometer only has 5 places.

Thanks Mark

2. Cannuck

Cannuck Junior Member

Re 1975 Dodge 1975 Dodge Ram

Mark,

Got to tell you, I wouldn't put a plow on that truck and put it out on the road with a route even if someone gave me $3300. When I think of a reliable truck for plowing, my mind stops at about 1996. Someting that old will just break down and leave you and your customers out in the cold (so to speak) right in the middle of a storm.

3. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

Heck....there are alot of OLD trucks out there plowing still today. Most of the people on here use them. Not everyone has $$$ to buy a new plow truck. S-10....sight unseen, $2000.00 but keep in mind it is plowing season and prices go up.

4. LawnzzzANDsnow

LawnzzzANDsnow Junior Member

Your right some us don't have the cash too buy newer so the oldest is the easiest to work on find out the actual miles or snap some photos so we can see.

Will love to see some pictures.

5. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation Senior Member

Why buy new when used will do. I have been plowing for over 20 years and have always had used trucks , 10 to 20 years old. I have had maybe 5 mechanical failures in that time and none major. I just retired my 1977 jeep wagoneer only because I dont have the time to repair the brake line that rusted. It still runs great and is for sale with the plow framework ( transfered the plow to a ford pick up a 1988) I still have my first plow frame and meyers pump 22 years old on my 1993 f 350.

If the truck runs good and the price is in your ball park buy it , make money with it. I have run dodges , fords, chevys , toyotas internationals, 2 wd , and 4 wd . I just paint them so they have a good appearance from 50 feet or 50 miles per hour.

'Snow doesn't care if its plowed by a new truck or a old truck"

Last edited: Dec 17, 2003
  6. S-10 Plower

S-10 Plower Senior Member

ok guys found out that the truck has 75,000 miles motor run great. test drove it Speedo is a little jumpy but other then that truck runs good. on testing 4x4 hi and hi loc. worked great but when you put it in low low loc. it mad a grinding noise and stalled also when in park and low low loc. it would roll back wards even with the blade down. he called me later that night and told me that he had fixed it, the linkage was loose so he adjusted and oiled it.

Plow is one that i have never seen except once on here there is no joy stick or fish stick there are two levers on the left of the steering wheel that operates the plow. also it doesn't take hydro fluid it takes atf fluid. pump is on the motor ran by a belt. plow was original with the truck, Pump was new a year ago, he also replaced a valve two years ago, and four years ago he completely took the plow apart and refurbished it. new angle cylinders, new paint, cutting edge, deflector, new hoses and fittings. the seller told me this looks to be true but being so old I'm not sure. dose need a plow light on drivers side said he would give me a set of them.

salter is a swingout tailgate spreader by snoex its a model 1075 holds about 8-80lb bags. (again according to seller). Seller also told me that he has a brand new controller for it with the variable speed can an old salter take a new controller and work that way?

OK so with that said what should I do should I buy it my worst fear is that if I buy it will break down after I purchase it and then I will have to fix it with no money to do so. Should I take it buy a diagnostic center and have it checked out I know things will break but I would like to make it awhile before fixing anything major.

The seller said it will last me a long time. (If you can believe him.)

sorry to ask so many questions. but i want you input. thanks in advance

Mark

7. griffithtlc

griffithtlc Senior Member

What motor is in it? A buddy of mine has a 78 Dodge, after sitting for 15 years in his yard, he dropped the tank, ran new fuel, transmission, and brake lines (and little things like that), and she fired right up. since he rebuilt the motor, and boy, that is a strong truck! Around here, w/ that spreader and plow, you would be talking 2500 to 2750 max (you said it would need some body work). Just some things that I notice about old trucks and what to replace, once you get it, go buy a 10 dollar tubing bender, and brake line and replace the brake lines. It is REALLY easy to do, and it gives you peace of mind. Otherwise, you said it runs fine, and he has been running it regularly, so I can't see what you should have to worry about. The tranny should be a Tourqueflight 727 (I think), and those are pretty tough (same as those used in 94-02 3/4 and 1 ton trucks, only w/o overdrive). Transfer case should be NP 205, which won't break. So basically, your whole drivetrain is pretty stout. How are the brake pads (worn), the glass (any chips, cracks), all the lights working (signal, brake). Try to find these little things to bring him down a bit. Anyway, good luck, and if you do get her, post a pic, eh?!

8. 440trk

440trk Senior Member

Sounds like you are looking at a factory Sno-Commander or Sno-Fighter truck. It will have a NP203 transfer case (not a NP205), and is a full time 4x4 system.

For the record...a 4x4 will be a W200, not a D200 (D series were 2wd)

They are great trucks (I'm plowing with a 77 Club Cab 1/2 ton Dodge). You will LOVE the full-time 4x4 for plowing.

These trucks are TOUGH. Couple of things to check though...

Areas to check for rust:

lower front fenders
    upper rear wheel wells
    radiator support (where it mounts to the frame)
    Check around the top of the windshield, up under the drip rail
    floorboards - they will be toast if there is a leak around the windshield area
    Lower door, near the hinge
    check the rear cab mounts too....usually they are fine, but the cab mount "support" (a 45 degree angled support) will have a good bit of rust in the bottom...not a safety issue, unless it's REALLY bad.

Mechanical checks (aside from the normal 4x4 stuff)

the NP203 uses a chain, and can develop excessive slop if heavily abused over the years. Drop a driveshaft, and give it a twist. If there is more than 1/4 - 3/8 of a complete revolution of play...the chain is loose

GREASE the front hubs ASAP!! The full time Dana 44 dodge axle uses a funky hub/rotor/bearing assembly. The bearing will live a long and happy life PROVIDED they are REGULARLY greased. To grease the front hubs, you must remove the front tires. You will see an access hole in the hub....rotate the hub, while looking into that access hole...you will eventually see a grease zerk. GREASE IT REGULARLY!!

Otherwise...these trucks are awesome. If you do pick this truck up, please don't hesitate to contact me, if you need ANY assistance with it.

9. SNOWPIMP

SNOWPIMP Member

I wouldn't give more than $1000 for it! I at one time ran 6 trucks with an average of $500 in each one including the plows! Old trucks are the best trucks But I wouldn't pay thru the nose for something with Nill resale value come spring! Unless you have some commercials that requires the spreader or can sell it for decent money! Those old Dodges are bullet proof especially if the have the power unit off the motor!