1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How Much should I list this plow for?

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by Harford13, Feb 11, 2011.

1. Harford13

Harford13 Senior Member

I'm thinking about selling my plow at the end of the season and I really don't know what I should ask for it because I put a lot of time into referbing it...

It's a meyer ST 7.5 that I blasted down to bare steel, repaired sections of the moldboard, sealed all of the seams on the u channels on the back of the plow so moisture can't rot out those sections of the mold board, primed and painted the plow with meyer paint, replaced the cutting edge, bought new shoes, new angle cylinders, new hoses, new couplers, new pivot pins, added a third trip spring, put on a snow deflector, and had the e-47 pump torn down, seals replaced, filters cleaned and bench tested..... I plan on including the meyer 17112 truck side mount, all wiring and the controler with the plow. The plow has operated flawlessly this year and the only reason I'm thinking about selling it is because I do a lot of really long lanes and want to get a V plow to break the drifts and speed up my operation a little, and I want a plow that's atleast 8'....

So with all of that being said, it's still a meyer ST 7.5, so what would be a reasonable asking price for the entire set-up??

2. streetscrapin16

streetscrapin16 Senior Member

I would say you could get around $1500 give or take a little.
  3. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

Cheaper to install wings than upgrade plow. Used plows sell for very little. The cheapie buyers wings will add almost 2ft in width and increase your productivity substanially.
  4. streetscrapin16

streetscrapin16 Senior Member

Buyers wings are 179.99 with warranty in Northern Tool.
  5. Harford13

Harford13 Senior Member

Yea, I guess I was hoping I could ask more considering $1500 is about what I have in it with time and parts, but it is still just a old 7.5...... I thought about wings, but I'm really not very happy with how light duty the plow is, I hate how hard it slams back when it trips because for some reason meyer doesn't put shocks on there plows, adding one seems like more trouble than it's worth because bottom line, this plow was made for Harry homeowner, not commercial use. I do a lot of long residential lanes with steep grades and it was very tough clearing the lanes, I had to push the snow side to side up the driveway which takes forever when you have to go several hunderd yards up a winding lane, and even then, the plow is very light and quick to run up the snow. This is my first year plowing, had I known what I know now I probably would not have bought the plow to begin with, I would have gone straight to a V, and on top of that I was so successful this year with the little snow we've had here I really want to expand my business next year, so looking ahead I don't think this plow will cut it... Oh well, the plow has paid for itself several times over this year already, maybe I'll just hang on to it incase I get enough work to get a second truck one day
  6. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY

A couple of things, adding wings will add weight, (may help you) and help "pull" the plow down into the snow. From your pictures, with the plow up, it looks as if your mount is too high, with no plow on, how far is it from the ground to the mouning holes? It should be somewhere around 10.5 inches. If it is mounted high it will make the angle wrong and the plow will want to ride up.
    Adding a shock won't be bad at all.:mechanic:
  7. Harford13

Harford13 Senior Member

It is about two inches higher than Meyer recommends, and if I keep the plow it's something I will address in the off season, the truck is lifted a little
  8. Bashby

Bashby Senior Member

It also looks like the top oif the plow is laying back some due to worn pivots where the sector attaches to the moldboard. The mounts for the shoes should be 90 degrees from the ground with the plow on the ground, and lowering the mount on the truck will worsen the situation. I just fixed this on mine (it was BAD) and cant wait for the next snow to see if it works better.
  9. Harford13

Harford13 Senior Member

It may look that way in the photo because the plow is sitting up on a four inch peice of wood, the shoes (not shown in the pic) are 90deg when the plow is down all the way