1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

how much should i get for plowing

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by jagman2882, Oct 6, 2007.

1. jagman2882

jagman2882 Junior Member

this year i am working for my buddy who owns a landscaping compay...i work for him during lawn season and this year he is expanding to snow removal...i was just wondering what you all think a fair wage for me would be. i have no real experience except for plowing my parents drive with our tractor...he said that he will pay me in cash...i will be doing about 40 driveways for him as he goes to college about an hour away...we are located in rochester, ny which is between buffalo and syracuse for those that dont know...so what do you guys think would be a fair wage for me???

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

So you're basically starting his snow plow business for him while he goes to college?

All the headaches and labor on your shoulders?

I'd want a piece of the action!

3. jagman2882

jagman2882 Junior Member

well i will be doing most of the plowing but he is setting everything up...he will prob do some over his winter break but yes i will be doing most of the plowing

4. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Is it his truck, gas insurance or what?

5. jagman2882

jagman2882 Junior Member

yes this is all his equiptment

6. 6feetdeep

6feetdeep Senior Member

Plowing 40 driveways? By yourself, with limited plowing experience? And, they've all gotta be done by what time in the morning?? Not saying it cant be done, but if the snow comes late every morning, like last winter, you will have your hands full, and your cell phone will be ringing. I took care of about 28 res. last year, along with 8 small commercial lots, with two trucks, my first year full time, and it was tough to say the least.

7. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

If he's a good buddy, I'd help him out. You'll probably have fun and make some $. I remember the first year I plowed, I didn't make alot of money but had alot of fun.

8. jagman2882

jagman2882 Junior Member

i plan on working for him...im just unsure what a fair wage would be?

9. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

$25-$30 is a fair price since it is his equip. He will probabily making close to $100 an hour depending on driving time between jobs and how fast you become. Good Luck.

10. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Insurance?

Make sure he has commercial vehicle liability insurance.
    His auto ins IE collision, comp, bodily injury, uninsured vehicle, etc etc, will not cover you or him while you are plowing.
    The commercial INS will be a separate policy.
    YOU want to see it. Better yet get a copy.
    YOU will want to be named on it.
    or you are not insured.

Do not plow with out commercial vehicle liability insurance that has snow plowing listed in it or you could be paying for the rest of your life.
    Read that last sentence again.

Now if you are working for him you will need to prove you are an employee if something should happen.
    His Ins will/ might cover you.
    You will want him to have Workman's comp.
    What if you get hurt bad and need to go to the hospital and can't work?
    You will want to fill out a W2.
    To help prove you are an employee and for taxes.
    You can run from the tax man but you can't hide.;)

A lot can go wrong just plowing snow.;)

Hey good luck and hope for sno#

P.S,

Wage? how much is he offering?

His truck, his Ins. $15-$20 an hr? with experience $32?

Last edited: Oct 7, 2007
  11. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

12. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

I would ask to be paid "over the table" for all the listed reasons.......

13. jagman2882

jagman2882 Junior Member

ok thanks for all the advice...any more would be greatly appriciated...thanks

14. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Sounds like your a partner, So I would ask for a % of the profit.

15. bam

bam Senior Member
    from .

If you're operating a truck without experience, $15-$20 an hour as a LEGITIMATE EMPLOYEE. Paying under the table sounds like he doesn't pay for insurance, or doesn't have an accountant, etc.

Like the others have said snow removal requires several type of policies to cover yourself, and his equipment and business. If you have an accident, claiming ignorance won't save your butt.

I would hash it out with your friend, and if he isn't fully insured, registered, setting you up as an employee, look elsewhere for winter work.

In house I have a fleet of 14 trucks, 6 skidsteers, 2 backhoes, numerous sidewalk equipment, not to mention all the subs we contract.

Here's a few things that happened last year. A parking garage arm knocked off the stand, a car trunk backed into and demolished, a privacy fence knocked over by a mounding snow pile, brand new custom counter top chipped x a few, etc.

My company is insured and all of our subs are insured, to protect us and our clients from the mistakes that happen in the heat of the storm.

16. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

when i sub for someone i charge 80.00 to 100.00 hr my gas my wear and tear my insurance might be more if the gas goes up

17. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Maybe read the thread again, it's not his truck, gas or insurance, he's just driving it.

18. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

oh ok 20.00 25.00 an hr that what i get to drive a pickup more for other machines

19. stevesmowing

stevesmowing Member

plowing is so much fun I think you should do it for free:waving:

Just kidding. Maybe $14 an hour if you are working in Rochester. All of the jobs up there are way underbid compared to other areas of the country.

20. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

beware that doing business with friends often ends on a sour note for many reasons....

i plowed my way through college tuition bills and i was an hour and a half away at school. your buddy would probably be better off skipping class on the snowy days - class would likely be cancelled anyway. trying to start up a snowplowing business when your not around to take care of it isn't a great idea, especially when your employee has no plowing experience.

i'm sure you're a reliable person, but i wouldn't trust any of my friends to handle my plow route if i'm away - even if they were experienced. and what happens when his equipment fails and all his customers are calling wondering where the plow guy is? are you expected to be under the truck fixing a broken tie rod end at 3am in the morning in a customer's driveway?

there's a lot to consider here - from both your perspective and his.... especially given each of your plowing experience.