1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How much should I charge to push snow?

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by BradsEquipment, Oct 13, 2015.

1. BradsEquipment

BradsEquipment Junior Member

I have a small rental company in Colorado, and I have been asked by a local landscape company that has a lot of commercial snow accounts to push snow for them as a sub-contractor. I have no idea what to charge hourly.

I will be using my own equipment as follows:
    2015 skid steer with new Kage System snow pusher
    2015 1 ton truck (dully) with new plow on the front
    2015 dump trailer (7x14) to haul snow off-site at times

Any help would be appreciated.
  2. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

Wouldn't even include the dump trailer in there, it's not that efficient at hauling snow.
    As for the truck depends on whether you have a v or straight, size, and your exp. but anywhere from 35-105 is about the going rate.
    The skid, no less than 150 per hour.
  3. abbe

abbe Senior Member
    from RI

Psh if you are in philly with city tow man that skids worth 200hr or he isn't getting out of bed.

Around my way that dump is worth around 65hr or so and the skid prob $75 with the pusher.
  4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

He said he didn't get out of for less then a grand,unless the husband shows up early.

Do you plan on using all that equipment at once or do you work just by yourself?
  5. JustJeff

JustJeff PlowSite.com Addict

I sure wouldn't work my truck for 65.00 an hour. After insurance, fuel and maintenance there's nothing left. I'm surprised you guys on the East Coast are that reasonably priced. Especially around NJ where they charge huge amounts for insurance.
  6. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

You have to look at your local market. Size and type of blade, experience, and many other factors need to be considered including insurance costs.
  7. JustJeff

JustJeff PlowSite.com Addict

Check your local Craigslist ads for comparable pricing. Type in "snow" in the search area in the "general labor" and "skilled trades" part of the jobs sections, and see what other people are advertising that they're paying subcontractors for comparable equipment.
  8. BradsEquipment

BradsEquipment Junior Member

Thanks for all the info. I might not even use my truck. I have heard it causes a lot of abuse to the truck, and I want to keep my truck nice and just use it for hauling.
  9. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

Yes, putting essentially a battering ram on the front of your truck and driving it around and into snow piles causes a lot of stress.