1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How much Sand to cover!!!

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by steeve34, Dec 30, 2009.

1. steeve34

steeve34 Junior Member

Guy's looking to buy a sand spreader like the Speed-Caster from Fisher and it can contain 10 Cubic Feet of sand or salt. How much sand would I need to to cover a parking lot that's about 300' by 300'. Would 10 Cubic Feet would be enough or should I go for a bigger spreader.

Steeve

2005 Dodge Ram 1500 7.5 Blizzard
    2003 Ford 250 Super Duty 7.0 Meyer
    2009 Troy Built Snowblower 45"

2. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Well,unless you want to load it repeatedly,no,10cu.' of salt or sand won't cut it.Differen't products will require differen't amounts and so will the amount of ice you're trying to melt.If all you have is that 1 lot,I would at the minimum buy a 3/4 yard unit.Some more info would be helpful.

3. steeve34

steeve34 Junior Member

How much Sand to cover

I have that lot that's about 300' X 300' and another one that's about 200' X 200' and about 50 residential I would like to offer them that service. So I'm might have to put a bigger unit in the back of the F250. Any suggestion?

Steeve

4. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I've got a SnowEx 1875 Sandpro, and it holds 9 cubic feet I believe, which should be 1/3 yard. I did a big lot today had to fill it by hand four times. I'm going to estimate it was about 200 by 500, maybe 600 I didn't really measure it. It takes me like four or five minutes to empty my spreader, and it doesn't seem to cover too much ground. It is ideal for doing little driveways, I can get two or three driveways out of a hopperfull, but for parking lots, if I did a lot more of that kind of work I'd buy a slide in unit that would hold a yard or two. I'm getting real sick of shovelling already. Sometimes it seems like I may as well just throw it out of the truck with the shovel.

5. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Yeah---That's some serious yardage your into now.Get a 2 yd.hopper.You really don't want more than that on a 3/4 ton truck.Depending on product and moisture content,you're up to a max of app.5,000 lbs. of material.