1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How much sand/salt mix would you apply to these properties?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by GSS LLC, Nov 29, 2013.

1. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

on a normal run, after you have plowed. what would be your estimate for the amount of sand/salt applied? I have serviced these properties for 3-4 years now. just comparing what i do to what others do. Kind of keeping myself in 'check' so to speak.

the colors are for helping my employees figure out what to do. and how to do it. ignore that.

V V HOW TO.jpg

Last edited: Nov 29, 2013
  2. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

a gas station I do... what would you say in tons applied it would take you to do this?

gas station how to.jpg

3. woodchuck2

woodchuck2 Senior Member

Too much variation IMO. It is hard to judge because we do not know the mix you are using, how heavy you are spreading it and how often? I can get anywhere from 1/4-1 mile out of my 1.5 yrd hopper rounded with just sand. Now are you adding salt to keep the sand from freezing or is it to help melt the ice? Sand will only give temporary traction, 1st day of sun and the sand will melt in and freeze back over so you basically have brown ice. The salt will help keep the ice soft and melt some away. Now going to straight salt is another ballgame as you can cover more area per ton. I think you will find a lot of varying answers to this as everyone does it differently for different reasons.

4. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

You leaving out some info how many SQ FT is there or how many acres are you salting ?????

5. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Yikes, haven't had this feeling in years- pop quiz! My answer A 5 tons

6. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I will pick B 2.5 tons