1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

how much salt

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by lark905lark, Nov 24, 2009.

1. lark905lark

lark905lark Junior Member

hello people, im going out on my own this year been subing and i would like to know what the best way to figure out how much salt i need on a lot when bidding? thanks guys for your help

2. Silentroo

Silentroo Senior Member

Just a few more things are needed to be able to help you

Temperature, Ice or cleanup, wind, Sunny/Cloudy, Drainage, and traffic all come to mind.

Generally figure out what you have as far as size and suggested application rates. From there it is a very simple equation

Application Rate X total area X number of applications = Salt needed for the season.

Some years you want to build in a stock pile as salt gets in short supply. Some years you don't

Generally a suppler can tell you what your application rate should be in general. Or search the site.....

3. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

general rule of thumb to add to what Silentroo said....20 lbs per 1000 sf

4. lark905lark

lark905lark Junior Member

thanks guys very much!

5. snow tender

snow tender Senior Member

We use 18 per 1000 sf I would check to see were you can get the bulk salt and the cost around here you have to put your order in advance and the markup is very small.

6. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

Thank Goodness

Finally a decent thread about ice melter required. Thanks everyone.

Another site to visit for some great printable information on rates is peters chemical company. You can look up many different ice melters and their application rates per thousand square feet.

If you are interested in estimating information check out www.profitsareus.com and look at our snow & ice management bidding package.

Good luck and let it snow!

7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

8. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

When the lot turns white you know you used enough.

9. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

Probably because GV hasnt been around yet. :laughing:

Edit- I take that back.

10. grandview

Only to glad to help out!:D

11. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

..and if the lot is white when you get there-how do you when enough is enough?

12. grandview

Well if the lot is white, you need to plow the salt off to keep it open.